Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless only Local now

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 trailbill

trailbill

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 26 January 2012 - 06:39 PM

This is my first post on here, but I have solved many of my past problems from information off of this forum. Thank You Everyone!!!!!!

Over the holidays, I was out of town and used my sister's Verizon wireless USB set-up while I was there. It installed VZAcess and it set Verizon as my default internet provider. I un-installed the program when I left, but I found it had changed my settings so my wireless card didn't automatically connect with any of the networks on my list. I had to manually connect each time I booted up. Well, this morning, I finally snooped around and found the Manage Wireless Networks page and went through my list of networks and changed each one back to Automatically Connect. Well, it automatically connects to my router now, but it won't connect to the internet. My router is just fine, because this computer (my daughters) still works just fine, and I re-booted the router and the computer just to be sure.

On the Network and Sharing Center page, I get a message that it is still "identifying" (public network) When I click the "View full map" tab, I get a message that Windows can not create a network map because the networks location type is Public. It says I must set the network's location type to Private in the Network and Sharing Center. I am not sure if this is the problem, because I can't find a way to change the location type to Private on the "Network and Sharing Center page. I am one of those guys that knows just barely enough to really screw things up, so I apologize if I created this problem myself

Any help directing me how to get my laptop to connect to the internet again would be Very Much Appreciated.

Thank You

Edited by hamluis, 26 January 2012 - 06:50 PM.
Moved from Vista to Networking.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PhoenixMightier

PhoenixMightier

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:28 PM

Try removing your network, and re-adding it back in.

FYI: Be Sure you know your Security Key before removing a network or you wont be able to reconnect! Most of the time its labelled on the router.

Go to the Network and Sharing Center-> on the right click Manage Wireless networks-> Click your network and then click Remove.

Then reconnect to your network, and you'll need to re-enter your Security Key. Let me know how that works out for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users