Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desperate help with wireless problems needed!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 StephanieDuke

StephanieDuke

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 26 January 2012 - 04:26 PM

Hi guys! Today I have been reduced to tears by a stupid computer and I am ALMOST ashamed to admit that! I have a wireless network in my house that has one main desktop attached to the wireless router and then two laptops that work wirelessly from different rooms. For the past 2 days laptop #1 has been acting up and gets booted off of the network and has to be troubleshooted, but always comes back. Laptop #2 had not be affected. Well this morning neither laptops would connect and the network could not even be found on either computer. I went and reset the wireless router and put all of it's setting back in there and now laptop #1 finds the network and connects just fine, but laptop #2 will not connect. It will find the network but it gives different errors messages. When I troubleshoot it, sometimes it will say that the network adapter needs to be reset, sometimes it will say that a cable is unplugged or needs repair. All the while laptop #1 is still connected and working fine. I went into laptop#2 and even manually tried to connect to the network and it still will not connect. I have exhausted trying everything that my basic knowledge can think of and am just about ready to throw the laptop out the window. Does this sound like a router problem or a laptop problem. The confusing thing is that the computer that had been having the problems with the network works just fine and now the one that was working fine (mine of course!) is the one not working. My router was purchased in 2009, if that makes any difference. Any help would be much appreciated!! :)

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 7 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 26 January 2012 - 04:38 PM

When the problem first started happening, can you think of anything that you or the computer did right before the problem started, like hardware or software install, uninstall, update, malware, etc.?

What error messages were laptop #2 giving you?

Also, just to set a good foundation, perform a network reset first. (Do not skip the waiting times.)

• Turn off all computers and unplug the modem and router.
  • Wait 10 seconds and plug the modem back in. Wait 30 seconds.
  • Plug the router back in. Wait 60 seconds.
  • Turn the computers back on and retest.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#3 gerry58

gerry58

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2012 - 04:54 PM

What also would be helpful for us to help you would be the make and model of your router and laptops.

#4 StephanieDuke

StephanieDuke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2012 - 05:17 PM

I have shut everything down, without power and let them sit for awhile and then started over as if everything was brand new and Re-set the router up. Laptop#2 had never given any error messages, even while laptop#1 was having problems. I plan on, in about an hour or so, going to my mother's house where I have used the troublesome computer in the past without problems. If I attempt to connect to her network and have problems, I am assuming it is a computer issue and not a router one right? What confuses me so is the fact that it finds the network, but just won't connect. Plus this laptop wasn't even the one that was having the initial problems and now it is useless! Here are the details on all the equipment:

Router is a D-Link DIR-615 (2009)

Laptop #1 is an E-Machines E528 (2010)

Laptop #2 is an HP G60 (2009)

Thanks!!!

#5 StephanieDuke

StephanieDuke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2012 - 05:37 PM

Just to be certain I just shut everything down again, and restarted back up even leaving laptop #1 completely unplugged. As soon as the HP laptop started up it said it found a network and then when I tried to connect it wouldn't. I ran the troubleshooter and it comes back with "Investigate router or access point issues". Even the wireless printer seems to be working with the router, just not this one computer!!

When I go in and check the WiFi adapter it says that "this device is working properly".

Edited by StephanieDuke, 26 January 2012 - 05:41 PM.

#6 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2012 - 05:44 PM

...but laptop #2 will not connect. It will find the network but it gives different errors messages.

Also, please think about and answer this question:

When the problem first started happening, can you think of anything that you or the computer did right before the problem started, like hardware or software install, uninstall, update, malware, etc.?

Did you make any settings adjustments on the router right before this started happening?

Given the circumstances, trying a different router may be a good first step.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#7 StephanieDuke

StephanieDuke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2012 - 06:01 PM

The initial problem that was happening was that Laptop #1 was being booted off of the network. That is the emachine laptop and that is my husbands. I just asked him and he said that there was no updates to anything happening at the time or even just before, he wasn't installing anything...he was just checking his email at the time. He doesn't make any changes or anything to his computer, he always lets me take care of all computer stuff. It knocked him off of the network twice that night and each time he ran the troubleshooter and it came right back. My HP was fine at the time and I wasn't making any changes to anything either. Again last night it happened on his emachine with nothing being done at all. I was on facebook and he was on facebook and checking emails. This morning when he got up for work and went to check emails the emachine wouldn't even find the network in the list. He turned my HP on and mine wouldn't show our network either. When I woke up and tried to get on the same happened that is when I went and actually put the set up disk back in the desktop computer that is connected to the router and reset the whole router back up. Immediately the emachine found the network and connected, the HP found the network but won't connect. I guess I will have better knowledge when I attempt to connect to the other network later tonight! Thanks for the help!

#8 gerry58

gerry58

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:17 PM

If you have the opportunity to connect to another network, I would try that. My experience would lead me to look at the router. It may be time for a new one. When you have multiple computers having problems connecting, it leads me to the single common element "the router". If you can indeed connect to another network, just replace your router and you will be fine. I have had routers work fine for computers directly connected but wireless was sporadic. I replaced the router and never had the problem again.

#9 StephanieDuke

StephanieDuke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:53 PM

Well, after a trip to my mother's house I think I have discovered that the problem was the router. My computer connected right up to her network!! Since I appear to be in the market for a router I am just wondering what brand do you think is the best? Any suggestions?

And thank you very much for your help and your time! :)

#10 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2012 - 09:29 PM

Linksys and netgear are reliable brands with flexible settings.

~ LL ~

#11 StephanieDuke

StephanieDuke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2012 - 01:20 PM

thanks! I am off to buy one right now! :)

#12 StephanieDuke

StephanieDuke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2012 - 09:55 AM

Ok guys, the problem has returned. I bought a new router and set it all up and for about 30 minutes both laptops worked fine. Then laptop#1 got booted off of the network and wouldn't find the network again. I turned everything off and back on and then they both worked for the remainder of the night. This morning they were both working and then boom, laptop#1 again got booted. I went and physically took the modem and router and brought them out to the room where we are with the computers and for the time being they are both working again but I suspect it won't be for long. I am beginning to think there may have not been anything wrong with the initial router since the same problem is happening again, except now with the opposite computer. What could be causing this? Could the actual DSL modem be causing this?? Would it trigger one computer to be knocked off of the wireless network? I have replaced all phone cords and all other cords with new ones and just can't figure this out. :(

#13 AnabolicHippo

AnabolicHippo

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 29 January 2012 - 08:23 PM

In the past, I've found that these kinds of issues can be resolved by setting up a static ip for the computers. If the problem is resolving the ip addresses, between the two laptops, this would seem to be a probable solution.

#14 gerry58

gerry58

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:17 AM

I agree static IP addresses can be helpful but only with PC's that don't travel. If you take the laptop somewhere else you will have to remember to release the static IP so it can join their network.

If you are able to join someone else's network (maybe two different networks)and not be booted off, then for the most part you have eliminated the laptop as the cause. That leads you back to the router or dsl modem.

If you plug laptop #1 directly into the modem does it drop off? If yes then the issue is the modem, if not then move to the router and plug into the router, once again does the laptop drop off? If yes the problem is the router if not then the issue is the wireless signal being broadcast by the router. If you just purchased a new router you are entitled to technical help from the manufacturer. I would give them a call and describe your problem, along with all the troubleshooting steps you have taken. It seems to me if the wireless is the issue then somewhere a setting is being overlooked to reset or reissue the wireless signal. How long are you staying connected, does it vary or is it always about the same length of time? Try setting the wireless broadcast to a specific channel such as 6 or 11, then think about the environment around the router, are there cordless phones that could be broadcasting on the same wavelength and or channel? If that is possible, unplug the phones (make sure you unplug the base station for the phones).

#15 AnabolicHippo

AnabolicHippo

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:18 PM

I agree static IP addresses can be helpful but only with PC's that don't travel. If you take the laptop somewhere else you will have to remember to release the static IP so it can join their network.

If you are able to join someone else's network (maybe two different networks)and not be booted off, then for the most part you have eliminated the laptop as the cause. That leads you back to the router or dsl modem.

If you plug laptop #1 directly into the modem does it drop off? If yes then the issue is the modem, if not then move to the router and plug into the router, once again does the laptop drop off? If yes the problem is the router if not then the issue is the wireless signal being broadcast by the router. If you just purchased a new router you are entitled to technical help from the manufacturer. I would give them a call and describe your problem, along with all the troubleshooting steps you have taken. It seems to me if the wireless is the issue then somewhere a setting is being overlooked to reset or reissue the wireless signal. How long are you staying connected, does it vary or is it always about the same length of time? Try setting the wireless broadcast to a specific channel such as 6 or 11, then think about the environment around the router, are there cordless phones that could be broadcasting on the same wavelength and or channel? If that is possible, unplug the phones (make sure you unplug the base station for the phones).

To help take some of the guess work out of channel selection, you could always get a wireless network analyzer. These programs can reference the various wireless broadcasts, in the viscinity of your connection, and tell you what is the optimal channel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users