Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Has anyone ever heard of Vipre?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Beeker

Beeker

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 26 January 2012 - 01:53 PM

I've been using free antivirus programs for myself, and I've got my mom a new computer that has 6 months of free Kaspersky.
My mom recorded a segment on HSN that sold Vipre antivirus. She wanted me to watch it to see what I thought about it. It sounded like a great deal, but I've never heard of Vipre and wouldn't want to spend that much money, no matter how great the "deal" sounds, on something that really is a flop.
Has anyone heard of this program, or had any experiences with it?

Edited by Beeker, 26 January 2012 - 01:54 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,665 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 26 January 2012 - 02:22 PM

Yeah, VIPRE is an AV originally developed by Sunbelt Software. Sunbelt Software was acquired by GFI Software.

I've had a beta version of VIPRE running on an old machine, it worked fine except that sometimes it made the machine boot slowly.
But that was a beta. Don't know about the final version.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#3 Beeker

Beeker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2012 - 07:20 PM

This recent advertisement on HSN said that it doesn't slow down the computer, it actually helps it run faster, and it protects from all malware, has an intelligent firewall, and cleans the computer. They kept holding up flashdrives. I'm not sure what that was about, but they also said that the special "deal" was that 5 licenses were included, so you could have all these protections, etc. for 5 different computers. I'm not sure what to think of that.

Anyone?

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,767 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 26 January 2012 - 07:43 PM

Take a look for yourself.

http://www.vipreantivirus.com/VIPRE-Antivirus/

http://www.vipreantivirus.com/

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 Beeker

Beeker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2012 - 07:55 PM

Thank you.

Does anyone have it or recommend it? Is it any good?

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:06 PM

If this is something you are considering take it for a test drive first. There is a free trial available.

http://www.vipreantivirus.com/Antivirus-Trial/

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:49 AM

VIPRE Antivirus is as good as any other well known anti-virus program.

Keep in mind that common sense, safe computing and safe surfing habits is essential to protecting yourself from malware infection. No amount of security software is going to defend against today's sophisticated malware writers for those who do not practice these principles and stay informed. Knowledge and the ability to use it is the best defensive tool anyone could have. This includes educating yourself as to the most common ways malware is contracted and spread as well as prevention.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 pantherapardus4

pantherapardus4

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 05 February 2012 - 02:27 PM

I'm actually switching from Vipre back to a free program, but not b/c I'm dissatisfied with Vipre. It ran well, was unobtrusive, didn't seem to slow things down. But looking back, I see that I did have to iron something out w/their customer service rep. I think it had to do w/renewing my subscription. Note that unless they've changed their packaging, their firewall is sold separately. I used Comodo instead for that.

My move is sheerly an economics-driven measure. From what I've been able to find online, it seems that the extra protection from a paid subscription is marginal, and safe surfing practices are more important. I have my own question about switching, but I'm start a new thread for my question.

If I had a job, I would probably just renew my subscription. Why mess with something that works, right?

Edited by pantherapardus4, 05 February 2012 - 02:28 PM.

Until we extend our circle of compassion to all living things, humanity will not find peace. ~Albert Schweitzer, The Philosophy of Civilization

Windows 7, Firefox, avast! Free Antivirus, Windows Defender, Spyware Blaster, SpywareGuard, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users