Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tip/Trick USB connection

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 svejk

svejk

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 26 January 2012 - 01:29 PM

I really hate USB connections. The combination of potential hot swap ills, signal continuity, and the sloppily designed mechanical fem/male connection is just irritating.
There is often just enough slop in an extension connection to a laptop, especially when held in your lap or otherwise used in any less than perfectly stationary way, to cause
occasional issues with the poor connectivity. It's just stupid to have to treat your laptop like an unstable bomb when moving it about whenever using these ports for fear of screwing up the signal xfer.

I've placed hard plastic shims on the bottom faces of all of my USB male cable ends. .35mm works about perfectly. I just took a digital caliper to an assortment of old id cards, and other odds and ends and found an old metric ruler that was made out of very flexible and hard .37mm plastic. Cut little squares to fit and used two sided thin carpet tape to secure them. Must put the shims on the bottom of the male plug (as it's oriented when plugging into a device). That is the side with the holes blocked by plastic within. The top side holes are not blocked. Reason for this is that there is danger of stressing/breaking the extended tab within the female socket if the upper side of the male plug is thickened. Take a look and you will see just what I mean.

Now all my connections are nice and snug and worry free.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 doc78

doc78

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:22 PM

i am intrigued by this. the usb ports on my work laptop get abused with regular swapping of cables and drives. do you permanently attach the shim? can you post up a pic?

#3 svejk

svejk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 28 January 2012 - 03:11 PM

Found the hard flexible plastic in this piece of ruler....approx .35mm....
Posted Image

Cut a square to fit and used thin two sided carpet tape to affix...
Posted Image

Only takes a minute. Nice and secure. There are probably easier ways to do this including deforming the port a little, but that is less reversible in case things don't work as planned.
Very important not to shim the wrong side. Too much stress would be applied to the four-pin plastic extension tongue within the port.

Edited by svejk, 28 January 2012 - 03:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users