Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

3-pitch random beeps from HP computer

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Gypsie62

Gypsie62

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:38 AM

About 3 months ago, my computer began to emit random 3-pitch short beeps. If they were notes, we would have a "E", "C" "G" pattern. It doesn't matter if I'm on the computer or not, or whether the computer is asleep or not. I have rebooted and run a Spybot check; everything seems clean. I do notice that the beeps seem to "match" some actions when I"m on the internet, but the beeps continue even when everything is closed. What are these beeps and how do I quiet them? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:07 PM

There are only three instances where I've heard my systems give an alarm of any sort:

a. While doing a virus scan and a known malware item is found.

b. When the system overheating warning goes off.

c. BIOS beep codes.

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 Gypsie62

Gypsie62
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2012 - 02:05 PM

Thanks for taking the time to help. HP Compaq running on XP; Intel Pentium 82801. Unfortunately, I don't perceive that your 3 suggestions fit the description. For #1, wouldn't that be during specified times, not randomly day and night whether I'm on the computer or not? For #2, I've checked the box, dusted the inside (with compressed air), nothing unusual there either. For #3, I'm no whiz on computers, but seem to have found that BIOS beeps are more like morse code--always the same pitch, with long and short. I actually found a video which demonstrated what BIOS beeps sound like---nothing like the "sing song" of 3 short high-pitched notes that I get. However at this point I'm more than willing to try to dig deeper and find out indeed if it's a BIOS. The PDF charts that I found so far did not describe my sounds--any idea where I can get an exhaustive list?

Would love to be in Texas right now--Chicago is grey and dull even though snow is almost all melted.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2012 - 03:10 PM

LOL...I've lived in Chicage (Des Plaines) through many inches of snow and bitter wind off the lake and I've done my time with Midwest winters :), so I know how it is there.

Worth a look, http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&docname=bph07107 .

Louis

#5 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 26 January 2012 - 06:45 PM

set windows sounds to "none" .to eliminate that as the source of the beeps.
how to, just in case .
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows-xp/help/setup/change-windows-xp-sounds

Edited by caperjac, 26 January 2012 - 06:46 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 27 January 2012 - 02:37 AM

The beeping sound could also be cause by a loose USB or PS/2 device plugged that needs to be replaced or as suggested above.

Tekken

#7 Gypsie62

Gypsie62
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:18 AM

Thanks everyone for the wonderful help and suggestions. I cleaned up the computer and made sure all the fans were running, then ran through the connections, did the BIOS check, and finally ran a different malware to find a virus that didn't show up on spybot. No beeps since!

Now, how do we "terminate" a forum?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:55 AM

Glad you resolved it, thanks for feedback.

We don't typically close post, keeping them available for the general populace as possible educational/resource tools that may be useful.

Happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users