Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is This a Mobo Problem?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 WhatsAComputer?

WhatsAComputer?

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 26 January 2012 - 10:36 AM

I have here an HP that was having booting problems. Self-tests pointed all it fingers at the Hard Drive, but when I popped it out and scanned it in a different computer it came back fine. From then on I was able to boot it through f2 before it started up, but you have to quick about it otherwise it starts beeping constantly and loudly.

Also the keyboard doesn't work (an external keyboard does), and the mouse flickers and rapidly selects/deselects things on its own, even if we use an external mouse.

Coworkers of mine have tried to reinstall the OS, but the hardware issues appear to still be here. Suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dif

dif

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 26 January 2012 - 10:43 AM

Download a linux distro. I persaonally use Ubuntu. Burn the CD and boot the laptop? from the cd. You don't need to install Ubuntu just run it from the CD. If the problems still exist then you know it's hardware. If they have gone then its software based like incorrect drivers.

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2012 - 01:54 PM

I have here an HP that was having booting problems. Self-tests pointed all it fingers at the Hard Drive, but when I popped it out and scanned it in a different computer it came back fine. From then on I was able to boot it through f2 before it started up, but you have to quick about it otherwise it starts beeping constantly and loudly.

Also the keyboard doesn't work (an external keyboard does), and the mouse flickers and rapidly selects/deselects things on its own, even if we use an external mouse.

Coworkers of mine have tried to reinstall the OS, but the hardware issues appear to still be here. Suggestions?

What sort of scan? Malware or hard drive test scan?
You need to take the drive and test it to see if it is going bad.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2012 - 10:47 PM

replace or repair? if this is the dreaded laptop infection then i would just salvage the 2.5" HDD and call it a loss. BC has fine forums on hard drive issues.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users