Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Print server query - Change of IP Address

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Julia-the-PCGP

Julia-the-PCGP

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:56 AM

I am using a Edimax print server PS1206MF connected by cable to the network router - and shared wirelessly by it to two computers.

The IP address of the unit is shown on the print server, however the day it changed itself to another number - do you know why ?

One of the PCs (both running XP Home/Pro) seemed to have updated itself to the new address, but the other didn't - so it couldn't see the printer. The one which updated itself could have been because the user clicked on "Refresh", but she doesn't remembering clicking on anything.

I clicked Refresh on the other computer's Edimax software and now it is showing the new IP address it is working fine.

However, I need to know why it happened, and how I can prevent it happening again in the future.

Thanks.

Regards,
Julia Evans

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 26 January 2012 - 06:54 PM

your router acts as DHCP server automatically issuing IP's from a set range of IP's.

Some routers offer IP's on a first come first serve basis so that if a lease expires and later the device comes back on line requesting an IP it can be assigned a different one. "Dynamic allocation".

Some routers will reserve an IP for devices that commonly connect to the network. "Automatic allocation".

Check your router documentation to see which you have and if it can be changed in the router software.

There is also "static allocation" which combines IP and MAC address so all devices keep their own IP.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users