Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Persistence of SET Properties

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 inenigma

inenigma

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 26 January 2012 - 07:43 AM

Hi,
I am attempting to install various Apache projects onto my PC. The installations require the PATH property to be updated and other properties to be initialised (JAVA_HOME & AXIS2_HOME among others). I am using the DOS command "set PATH=%PATH%;...." to add new directories to the PATH, and this appears to persist over reboots. My Problem is when I try and add JAVA_HOME or AXIS2_HOME, using the set commands (set JAVA_HOME=..... or set AXIS2_HOME=.....). These two commands will add the properties and Apache project starts up as expected, BUT, these two properties DO NOT PERSIST after a reboot (I just type the "set" command at the DOS prompt to display the value pair of properties). The PATH property persists and contains the additional Apache directories, but, JAVA_HOME and AXIS2_HOME don't persist. What am I doing wrong ?? What am I missing ??

Cheers for any assistance,
David

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 26 January 2012 - 01:25 PM

It has been a while and I'm not sitting at a Vista machine to try this on, but could you not either edit autoexec.bat and see if that works?
Or
Create a batch file that has those set commands and put it into your startup folder.
being sure to use notepad and save as text. Such as setthem.bat and put those two commands in it.
set JAVA_HOME=.....
set AXIS2_HOME=.....

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 inenigma

inenigma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2012 - 03:14 PM

I shouldn't have to "set" properties after each reboot, but, if I can't find the correct resolution, then I guess I'll have to do something like this.

Thanks anyway,
David

#4 inenigma

inenigma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2012 - 03:48 PM

Found it. Environment Variables on the Advanced <tab> of System Properties in Control Panel. Don't know what I've done, but, updating the Environment Variables does not take immediate effect, but, persists thru reboot. And using the "set" command at the DOS Prompt takes immediate effect, but, does not persist thru reboot.

Cheers,
David

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 26 January 2012 - 05:29 PM

Glad you found it. :thumbup2:

Pretty funny that, now that I'm at a vista based computer you already found it. I was on a XP machine before.

I have one laptop that I can put one of three drives in for XP pro, Vista Business or Windows 7 Pro. But you beat me to it.

Edited by rotor123, 26 January 2012 - 05:30 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users