Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Radio Frequency

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 navyseal

navyseal

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 12 February 2006 - 06:24 PM

hello! ive been having some kind of freqeuncy running to my speakers as of late...when i turn my speakers as high as they can go, i hear a low buffered noise of music streaming through my speakers. i unplugged the green cord that plugs into my soundcard in the back of my computer tower. i turned my speakers up all the way to c if it was still there, and it was. i dont have any trojans or malware on my computer because i just got done going through an hjt process and a bunch of scanners, and my computer was cleaned. i would like to kno how i could get rid of this problem, and wat might be causing it. thanks in advance!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 splackavellie_ca

splackavellie_ca

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2006 - 11:06 PM

i too am having the same problem and its annoying to the point whre i can hear it when watching videos etc.

i cant figure out how to fix this.

Im going to give u the same recomendations people on here gave me although they didnt solve my problem.

Wondering do you have a DSL connection?are your speakers shielded? If it's a DSL connection, contact your DSL provider and ask for an RF filter to be placed on your DSL line. If not, see if changing the placement of your speakers changes the effect. Also make sure that there isn't a source of EMF close to your speakers.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 14 February 2006 - 10:07 AM

Ther are several trouble shoots here to look at. Hopefully you will find yours.

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=computer...s+noise+filters
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 navyseal

navyseal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2006 - 04:21 PM

well c for me, i can only hear it when i blast my speaker volume up to full. and still then it's a little hard to hear. i got a cable connection not dsl. however, i still dont want it on there. im gonna check out a couple of those links on the link u gave me boopme. thank you also for ur input splackavellie_ca. if i figure anything out from the link boopme gave me, or find anything on my own, i will surley direct u in the right path! thanks agian for ur help guys!

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2006 - 10:22 PM

what sound card and speakers do you have?
Is your stereo close to your PC? Can you move one
Do you use an optical mouse? Try a regular one
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,736 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2006 - 12:35 AM

Sounds like RFI (radio frequency interference). A nearby radio or TV station getting into the electronics and being demodulated.

You could try wrapping all the speaker cabling in aluminum foil and connecting the foil to the computer chassis ground (be carefull around the power adapter). Might try wrapping the speakers themselves too.

Alternately, or in addition, you could try one or more ferrite sleeves on the cabling:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.js...3222&cp=2032058

Edited by ddeerrff, 16 February 2006 - 12:36 AM.

Derfram
~~~~~~

#7 tryn2learn

tryn2learn

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2008 - 09:16 PM

I am having the same problem. I just purchased Logitech X240 speakers for my PC. (The old speakers didn't do this, they were less powerful though)

My sound card is a Realtek
Audio driver version 5.10.0.5436
Direct X version direct X 9.0c
Audio Controller HD audio
Audio Codec ALC888

When I have my computer on and the volume all the way down I am picking up 2 different stations. Unfortunately the volume of these stations goes in and out so I am unable to get any call letters. I have called the closest radio station located to me which is about 4 miles away and they say it's not their problem.

One of the broadcasts was prerecorded and a Christian program and I called them and they said they would check into it and call me back. I have not heard back from them and it has been 4 days. I called Logitech who told me that the speakers are shielded and the only thing they could think of was that the cable (2 wire) was acting as an antenna. They asked also told me that if it did NOT happened when the computer was powered down, it was something wrong with the computer. I called the computer manufacturer who told me that they had never heard of such a thing and that audio issues really weren't their expertise.

I am at a totally loss here. (BTW, I do not have any viruses) I'm using Panda 2008 and check using Hijack This, as well as, making sure the system is ok using System Mechanic.

Anybody got any ideas? :thumbsup:

PS Does the Radio Shack RF choke go on all speaker wires?

Edited by tryn2learn, 03 October 2008 - 09:19 PM.

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2008 - 08:38 AM

I have called the closest radio station located to me which is about 4 miles away and they say it's not their problem.

Glad they think so. Contact the FCC and complain

About chokes:
http://www.arrl.org/news/features/2001/09/14/2/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#9 tryn2learn

tryn2learn

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2008 - 03:10 PM

Thanks for the info. I think I will try both. Purchase the $1.50 chokes from Radio Shack and call the FCC. Especially being that the person answering the phone was so rude and unpleasant!

I wonder too if this could be the cause for some of our cable TV stations to not work very well lately. (Basically the same time frame) Although, I'm no engineer by any stretch and don't even know if digital cable can be interfered with the same as a DSL line for the computer.

Will let you know how I make out.

TryN :thumbsup:

#10 tryn2learn

tryn2learn

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2008 - 01:42 PM

Got the $1.38 chokes from Radio Shack and they work! Now I just need to get rid of the occassion pop from static. It's very dry in my house and I think it's the static causing it.

Thanks for the info!

TryN2 :thumbsup:

#11 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2008 - 01:53 PM

Glad it worked for you
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#12 tryn2learn

tryn2learn

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2008 - 02:13 PM

Any idea how to get rid of the snaps and pops?

Thanks in advance.

tryN2 :thumbsup:

#13 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2008 - 07:52 PM

I wish I could give you a definite answer. Is you electrical outlet properly grounded? Can you plug the speakers into a separate outlet? Are all connections tight, none of the plugs wiggle? Reroute the speaker wires away from all others If you're using a CRT monitor, keep the speakers away from it
Mark
Posted Image

#14 tryn2learn

tryn2learn

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2008 - 09:18 PM

I'm assuming it's grounded properly. The place is only 11 years old. I also have it plugged into a surge suppressor. Although, everything is plugged into the strip. All connections are tight. I'm going to try to plug into a different surge suppressor and see if that doesn't help. And I am not using a CRT, I have a flat panel. Good suggestions and I'll double check them all. Thanks for all your help!

TryN2 :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users