Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba M40-110AR Black Screen

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Simon123

Simon123

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 26 January 2012 - 04:30 AM

Hi, I have a problem starting up may Toshiba M40-110AR laptop. Whenever I start the laptop I get the Toshiba start up page for a second and then the screen goes black. If you look very closely you would see a very very faint trace of Windows XP running but you can hardly use it as it is almost black.
I wanted to install a fresh copy of Windows XP but I am unable to boot from the CD drive. The initial Toshiba screen that allows you to select the boot sequence appears for a split of a second and you can hardly catch it. Any advice is highly appreciated. I have been trying for the past few days without any result. Thanks.
Simon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 26 January 2012 - 01:51 PM

The most likely causes based on past experiences are that you have a bad LCD panel followed by a bad inverter.

I'm not finding a M40-110AR, What is the Model Part number for it?
I'm guessing that it is a Portege laptop maybe 12.1" screen?

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Simon123

Simon123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2012 - 03:21 PM

Hi rotor123,
Thank you very much for your reply. The model no. is PSM40E-02300TAR.
The monitor shows the Toshiba splash screen for a second and then it goes dead. This happened few days back and I installed a fresh copy of Windows XP. It worked for few days and when I was trying to install the network adapter things went bad again. So now I have two issues; first the black screen and also I cannot boot from the CD ROM drive. I thought that I may be able to install a new copy of Windows to solve the problem.
Thank you
Simon

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2012 - 05:45 PM

That is pretty funny that "PSM40E-02300TAR" is not turning up except that google shows this message.

Installing windows will not help. If it were a software problem you would have a screen up until part way into the loading of windows.
You are losing the display before that according to your reply.

Can you hook up the laptop to a Monitor and then power it on? That should let it auto select to display on the monitor. I'm curious if both displays go black or does the Monitor keep working.

Another test when the display goes black shine a bright light into the screen and see if you can see a dim display there.

Can you PM me the serial number and the model number as what you posted is a the part number (Model part number)?

Thanks
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 26 January 2012 - 05:46 PM.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 Simon123

Simon123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2012 - 01:15 AM

Hi Roger,

I hooked up a second monitor and it worked fine. I can see Windows screen on the external monitor but the laptop monitor is still dead, just a very dim display than can hardly be seen.
Serial No: 25095786Q
Model No: PSM40 (this is the main model number of the laptop. The more specific number is the same as in my previous email).

I really appreciate your help. Many thanks,

Simon

#6 Simon123

Simon123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2012 - 01:16 AM

One more thing: any idea how to boot from the CDROM drive?

Many thanks
Simon

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:37 AM

You will have to leave it hooked up to the second monitor so you can see the screen.

Normally the Boot Selection menu is F12 or you can try holding down the O key when you power it on.

Keep in mind that the very dim display is a hardware problem.

The most likely causes based on past experiences are that you have a bad LCD panel followed by a bad inverter. The reason I'm leaning towards a bad lcd panel is that it flashes on before going black.

Model Name: Satellite M40-110
Product Category: Portable
Model-Part Number: PSM40E-02300TAR
Serial Number: 25095786Q

Looking for a screen in google on ebay for example:
http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&source=hp&q=m40-110+lcd+ebay&pbx=1&oq=m40-110+lcd+ebay&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=1219l4265l1l5234l9l8l0l1l1l0l297l1720l0.4.4l9l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=39d4c75cd492ccc4&biw=1024&bih=593

Edited by rotor123, 27 January 2012 - 10:42 AM.

167 @ June 2015

#8 Simon123

Simon123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:48 PM

Many thanks for your help Roger. Much appreciated.
Best regards,
Simon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users