Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possibly Dumb Norton Internet Security/Firewall question?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MML

MML

• Members
  • 241 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 25 January 2012 - 06:25 PM

After having some issues updating my NIS last night, I decided to upgrade to '12. It took quite awhile to properly download the update, and it actually went from seventy percent to twenty percent finished at one point. Anyway, it seemingly installed, and after several restarts to upgrade the engine it gave me the following error: "Norton Internet Seccurity has encountered an Internal Program Error, Error ID 100, 8504". It ran an auto-fix and seemed to be working fine afterwards, but when I double-checked on the Norton forum they recommended a complete reinstal. It seems to be working fine otherwise, however, except for the notice that "Firewall Setting AlertThreadEnable Changed" when I signed in this morning. Worth being worried about?

ETA: The Norton rep I talked to tried to tell me it was a conflict with MalwareBytes and SAS and tried to convince me to remove them. LOL no, they've caught stuff Norton never has and I know they can run concurrently with Norton if you don't have auto-protection enabled.

Edited by MML, 25 January 2012 - 06:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 26 January 2012 - 07:58 AM

Firewall setting: "AlertThreadEnable Changed" is normal behavior according to a Symantec Rep in this discussion topic.

If any conflicts between Malwarebytes and another security program are reported, suggested solutions are usually provided in the Common Issues, Questions, and their Solutions, FAQs thread.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 MML

MML
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 241 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 26 January 2012 - 10:33 PM

Thank you so much!

Unforuntately, my CPU's running at 98 percent and I'm getting lots of browsing/computer lags, so I'm going to run over to 'Am I Infected?'. Thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users