Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer will turn on, but won't log in

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 vip3rpilot

vip3rpilot

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 25 January 2012 - 02:27 PM

A few days ago, I tried to boot up my laptop (Lenovo G550) and, while I was able to turn it on, I am unable to reach the log-in screen. When I turn it on it takes me to a Windows Error Recovery screen. I have seen this screen before and have never had trouble logging in afterwards, but this time I cannot. The screen gives me two options: Launch Startup Repair (recommended) and Start Windows Normally. If I choose Start Windows Normally, it gives me the typical Windows 7 startup screen, with the Windows logo above it, and then after a few minutes of this startup screen, flashes blue (there is text here; it looks like the Blue Screen of Death but it flashes too quickly for me to read it) and then takes me back to the Windows Error Recovery screen. If I choose Launch Startup Repair, it gives me a different startup screen (I think it looks like the old XP screen, with a green progress bar instead of the Windows logo?) and then goes to a black screen that lasts for quite a long time. Eventually it goes to what looks like the Windows 7 log-in screen (it has the same blue background and design) but no log-in box is supplied, and it's just the log-in background screen and a mouse cursor, but with nothing to click. After a few moments of this, the harddrive light turns off, and it remains on this screen until I force it to shut down. (And on the most recent time I tried to turn it on, I got to the black screen, and the harddrive light turned off here and I can't even get to the blank log-in screen.)

I'm not really sure what to do. Has anybody encountered this before? Any suggestions for how I can fix it? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 25 January 2012 - 03:09 PM

just a thought ,remove the battery and power plug ,hold the on/off button in for about 1 min, reinstall battery and power and try again ,if it goes to the repair screen again, try the repair again

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 26 January 2012 - 04:19 PM

Right after the BIOS screen goes away, repeatedly press F8 to bring up the advanced boot options. Select Disable automatic restart on system failure. Windows will then continue booting normally. If a BSOD occurs, the computer should keep it on the screen. Relate what it says in your next reply.

Pressing F8 will also give the option of booting into 'Safe Mode'. Will windows boot into that?

Edited by LucheLibre, 26 January 2012 - 04:20 PM.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users