Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 start menu

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 accessguy

accessguy

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 25 January 2012 - 02:00 PM

I unfortunately used Perfect Uninstaller to remove SQL Server 2008 R2 and Visual Studio 2010. After reading the forum I know it was a mistake to use this as it probably infected me.

I used Avast to locate the viruses on my HD and then removed them with their program.

So, then I tried to re install the SQL Server and it installs successfully but when you go to the start menu, then click to expand the folder it says (empty) under the folder.

I also re installed Visual Studio 2010 which also completed successfully and when you click on that folder in the start menu, there are items there but they are shortcuts that look like documents (have the document icon), and you cant launch Visual Studio.

I so do not want to reformat my hard drive for this to work.

I also ran the unhidefolders.exe from this site but it did not correct the problem.

Any one have any ideas how to fix this? These are the only two programs that are like this on my start menu, the others are fine and work correctly.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 akoch

akoch

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 25 January 2012 - 04:12 PM

I am not guaranteeing this will work, but it's worth a shot.

Since you have the program installed, run its uninstaller via control panel.

After its gone, run CCleaner and have it clean temp files and registry files. When CCleaner finds registry files that are in place that aren't connected to anything, it will delete them. I typically will run it over and over and over until it comes up with nothing.

Once you're confident that CCleaner has done its job, just double check and make sure that the directory structure for the program is gone.

This means: delete the program's folder out of the program files directory, delete the startmenu folder for it, and any other associated files.

Try to reinstall the program after that, and you should get a clean install.

Oh, and remember: Use third party software as a last resort!!!

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 25 January 2012 - 06:03 PM

Credit goes to Animal on this one.

==================

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

•Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.

•Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

•Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

•Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

•The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

•Ed Bott's Webog: Why I don’t use registry cleaners

•Do I need a Registry Cleaner?

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users