Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

missing icons in start menu

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bluemagma

bluemagma

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:03 PM

I recently got a stupid system check malware. I have completely removed it using the apropriate guide here on bleeping computer. I have run unhide.exe and they are still missing. Here is a little info

my account is the administrator account
doc&settings/myusername/start menu/programs/ all of my icons are fine
doc&settings/all users/start menu/programs/ all of my folders are empty.
System restore is disabled because we are running a universal central backup. (icons were not being backed up)
here are the things that I have tried.

Checked to show hidden objects.
navigated for deleted icons in "Active Undelete Pro"
Checked for hidden files in the recycle bin directory
Checked all temp folders.
Changed the security properties of the all users start menu

It seems as if they have been moved/renamed. Does anyone have any idea on what I could do to try and find these icons and restore them?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 25 January 2012 - 01:02 PM

Edit ,,, .
This will restore the default start menu that came with Windows.
Windows XP Pro 32-bit US English
http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/fakehdd/winxp-pro-32bit-sm-reset.exe

Edited by boopme, 25 January 2012 - 01:06 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 bluemagma

bluemagma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 25 January 2012 - 01:55 PM

Edit ,,, .
This will restore the default start menu that came with Windows.
Windows XP Pro 32-bit US English
http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/fakehdd/winxp-pro-32bit-sm-reset.exe

This restored some of my icons. Thank you! Still need my others though. I guess I will just get to work on reinstalling all of my programs or see if I can do a repair under add/remove programs to get the icons back..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users