Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Control Panel Icons

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Shadow Rider

Shadow Rider

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 25 January 2012 - 11:44 AM

Hello gang,

It's been awhile for me, but I need help with another unique problem I am facing. All of the icons in the control panel work correctly; this is a Windows XP machine by the way. However, the "Printers and Faxes" Icon is displayed in the control panel as "folder." It is also displayed this way in the start menu under the control panel shortcut as well. I have tried locating the registry entry for this icon, but the icon itself seems to have been deleted at some point. Any help would be nice.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:36 PM

Hello Shadow Rider,

It is a good practice to make a backup of the registry before attempting any changes: How to set a system restore point in Windows XP.

On my Windows XP Pro machine when I navigate to the Printers and Fax CLSID at:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{2227A280-3AEA-1069-A2DE-08002B30309D}, there is a subkey named "DefaultIcon" with the following attributes:

Name: Default
Type: REG_EXPAND_SZ
Data: %SystemRoot%\System32\shell32.dll,-138

It's possible that if the above data value is missing that a folder may appear instead.

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users