Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiple BSOD's

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Zugzwang1

Zugzwang1

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 25 January 2012 - 10:10 AM

Hi,

I was trying to do some computer maintenance earlier today, and got a blue screen of death. Since then, as soon as I boot Windows it crashes again. I'm posting this in Safe Mode, which seems to work fine.

I ran CCleaner on its default settings, uninstalled Avast and installed Kaspersky in its place. A couple of minutes after this I got the first BSOD.

The BSOD is DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, the driver in question is ataport.sys. I've tried to Google this problem, as a result I tried running sfc /scannow and a rootkit scanner and both came up clean. I'm not sure where to go from here.

I've attached the Minidump files below. Thanks for any help :)

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Lefty3120

Lefty3120

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 25 January 2012 - 10:44 AM

Kaspersky might be conflicting with something on your system. Try uninstalling it to see if the bsod still happens.

Edited by Lefty3120, 25 January 2012 - 10:45 AM.

#3 Zugzwang1

Zugzwang1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2012 - 11:04 AM

Trying to uninstall it, I get:

The Windows Installer service is not accessible in Safe Mode. Please try again when your computer is not in Safe Mode

If I try to boot normally, I get a BSOD before I even get a chance to type in my password. Is there any way around this?

#4 Lefty3120

Lefty3120

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:28 PM

Here is an article illustrating how to perform a clean boot. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Following the instructions for step 1 of this guide.

Since you are experiencing a bsod pointing to a driver failure this may also help.

#5 Zugzwang1

Zugzwang1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:43 PM

I found a tool from Kaspersky that did a thorough uninstall of all their products, which seems to have fixed the issue. Thanks for your help, Lefty, your post steered me in exactly the right direction :)

#6 Lefty3120

Lefty3120

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:47 PM

That was easy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users