Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing updates from a flash drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dborns

Dborns

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 25 January 2012 - 09:49 AM

I'm having an issue with installing my windows updates. It started after a virus that has since been removed from the computer. I have been able to download some updates since then, but for some reason, for the past few weeks, everytime I try to install these updates, they fail-
Security Update for Windows (KB2393802)
Security Update for Windows (KB2633171)
Internet Explorer 9
Microsoft Office SP3
Microsoft Office 2007 SP3

When they fail, I get error code "80096001". I've googled that and have used the program from Microsoft for updates that won't install right, (I can't remember the program name, but its a free one online from MS). That program doesn't help either. Now today, a new issue has come up where I get an error box saying that it can't even check for new updates.

My question is, can I download updates to a flash drive from another computer and install them on the laptop from there?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2012 - 11:28 AM

Not using Windows Update.

If you can download them from some other link...sure, they can be installed from CD, DVD, etc.

A flash drive is nothing more than a small storage container, while a hard drive is a large storage container.

Louis

#3 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 29 January 2012 - 09:27 AM

did you try the Microsoft windows update fix ,worked for me a few time on computer i worked on .
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#4 Dborns

Dborns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 201 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2012 - 09:47 AM

I did try that when this first started, and I don't remember what the error was, but it didn't work. I still haven't tried to download to a flashdrive, as I've not had time to figure out how to do it. I'm still not able to install the ones that I mentioned above, and anytime I turn the computer on, I get the pop up box that says it can't even check for updates. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

#5 avinashpathak

avinashpathak

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:43 AM

I think when you install the operating system some steps you are skip so better that you reinstall the operating system try it again Again if you find same problem you can contact with windows Help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users