Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Autorun.inf virus

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 greeney

greeney

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 25 January 2012 - 05:17 AM

Right then guys,
Looking for some solid responses here, I already don't have much hair and if I start pulling any more out there's going to be trouble! So it would appear that my computers were infected by the autorun.inf virus. It started on one computer, into my external hard drive, and then onto the second computer. Now it would appear that I have removed the virus from the hard drive using command prompt; attrib -s -r -h *.*, followed by del autorun.inf, after which I quickly removed the hard drive and it appears to have worked. Unfortunately the folders were are still shortcuts. It was not a problem on the hard drive as a merely made new folders and copied the old information into them. However I feel there should be a better way, especially now I am looking at the internal hard drives on both laptops.
2 Questions
1) Does the lack of automatic conversion back into folders mean the virus has not been removed (there appears to be no evidence left)
2) Is there any way of converting the shortcuts back into folders without all this crazy copying business?
If you guys sort this for me I'll get my missus to bake you all cookies!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 25 January 2012 - 05:37 AM

Download

Malwarebytes

Install it and run a full scan that includes your external harddrives

Download

ESET online scanner

Install it

Click on START,it should download the virus definitions and scan should start
When scan gets completed,it should remove threats automatically

Download

autorun exterminator

Launch it and run a scan, make sure your PC is clean from autorun.inf

Now

For xp ,go to run and type

cmd and click ok

For vista and 7

Go to start and type

cmd

Now right click on it and select run as administrator

Now run this command

attrib -h -r -s /s /d g:\*.*

where g refers to your external hard drive letter

this should restore the folders

Good luck

Edited by narenxp, 25 January 2012 - 05:40 AM.

#3 greeney

greeney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:19 AM

That's fantastic, thanks for the reply, I'm in the process of downloading/installing those programs. Quick question will I perform the same process (in regard to the attrib -h -r -s....) if i'm looking at the internal harddrives of the computers?

That's fantastic, thanks for the reply, I'm in the process of downloading/installing those programs. Quick question will I perform the same process (in regard to the attrib -h -r -s....) if i'm looking at the internal harddrives of the computers?

#4 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:10 AM

Replace

attrib -h -r -s /s /d g:\*.*

with

attrib -h -r -s /s /d c:\*.*

where C is your c drive :thumbup2:

#5 greeney

greeney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:42 PM

Well my friend, that is absolute diamond. I've been looking at this issue online for the past 2 days and no post has been as simple, straight forward or most importantly successful as that. Couple of issue, I couldn't get the autorunexterminator to run/open, used autorun eater, wasn't sure if it was a suitable replacement or not but it came back negative all the same. One other thing, in case there are any other mildly incompetent people such as myself reading this, the spacing on the input into command prompt -s -r -h /s /d g:\*.* was the only way it would accept. I'm sure that's perfectly obvious to anybody who's got a slight idea about it.
Honestly mate, thank for taking time out of your day to help me with this, just fantastic, it's put a smile on my face!

#6 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2012 - 01:08 PM

You're welcome :thumbsup:

#7 greeney

greeney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2012 - 07:00 AM

Mate you were well on the ball yesterday and ideas about this, sorry feel a bit cheeky using and abusing you twice in a row but getting no replies elsewhere, thats if you're still looking at this that is.
Just posted;
Windows xp: Right so yesterday I resolved an issue with an autorun.inf virus. I managed to get rid of the virus, using malwarebytes. The virus converted all my file folders into shortcuts. To convert the shortcuts back into folders by using command prompt attrib -s -h -r /s /d d:\*.*. It appeared that the problem was resolved..... Now today I've turned the computer on and at first I received an error message before windows had loaded stating that ntdlr file is missing or corrupt. At which point I did a quick bit of research, put my windows xp disk into the drive, entered repair windows, placed in my administrator password, then input copy e:\i386\ntldr d:\ then copy e:\i386\ntdetect.com d:\. After this I removed the cd and restarted windows. Now I receive the error message system32\hal.dll is missing or corrupted.
Now holy smokes whats going on. Is this because I replaced the shortcuts back into folders yesterday and now they are in different locations or what? Do I bother to go through and fix the hal.dll error or once that is done is it just going to give me another thing it is missing........ Anybody got any ideas? Feeling somewhat in over my head now after 3 days of computer issues, a bit slow at the best of times!

#8 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2012 - 07:52 AM

I would suggest you to repair your OS using this tutorial

http://en.kioskea.net/faq/516-repairing-windows-xp-using-cd-installation

Good luck

#9 greeney

greeney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2012 - 01:29 PM

Ar, didn't work but sent me in the right direction anyway, ended up replacing boot.ini which worked (through system repair!). Thanks again for taking the time to check it out....
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ht/repairbootini.htm
Cheers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users