Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New SATA HD but wrong Vista installation

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ripleysteven

Ripleysteven

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 25 January 2012 - 03:42 AM

The hard drive failed on a Gateway T-1625 laptop, and although I have a registered version of Windows Vista,
I did not have the Gateway CDs. So, after replacing the Western Digital 250 GB with a Western Digital 320 GB, I used the Dell CDs I had on hand, and entered the Gateway Windows Vista key.
The processors were the same and other specs near the same, but now I see Dell in the Computer properties and The Vista service pack 1
will not install. Any help, please. I will appreciate it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dif

dif

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 25 January 2012 - 03:55 AM

Did Vista install or were they recovery discs ?

Was the key accepted ? Does it say activated ?

Check the time and date is correct. Is there an error code when it doesn't install ?

Dell do brand their Operating Systems with the Dell logo.

#3 Ripleysteven

Ripleysteven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2012 - 10:25 PM

Well, the hard drive on the Gateway failed right after I saved some pictures and videos to a SDHC 16GB card with a USB cardreader.
S.M.A.R.T. had warned me that HD was about to fail, and before I could make recovery discs, it did fail.
1. The Dell CDs for Vista came with a Dell Computer.
2. The Gateway key is in there and it says activated.
3. I'm not sure what the question is about the time and date, but on the taskbar, the clock is correct.
I will try to install the service pack 1 again.
What happened last time was the install of service pack 1 stalled (for hours).

#4 dif

dif

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2012 - 05:02 AM

I don't think the Dell branding has anything to do with the failure of the install of the service pack.

Have you installed the correct drivers from the Gateway website ?

Is there an error code when it fails the install ?

#5 Ripleysteven

Ripleysteven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2012 - 03:30 AM

Service pack 1 finally did install. I lifted the laptop up onto shot glasses on the corners and ran a window fan across it to keep it cool. I checked it about 10 hours later and it was in. Service pack two went in easily, and there seems to be no end to these updates now.
I did install the correct drivers, though the page Gateway sent me to was troublesome.
Once I found the correct package that actually did install into C/cab folder, I verified that these were correct.
All is well now, except the Dell branding. As you said, the branding wasn't a factor.
Thank you for your help. It built my confidence and tossed out some worries about unfamiliar areas.

#6 dif

dif

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2012 - 07:33 AM

If you want to get rid of the Dell branding, take a look at these two links.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/113456-support-information.html

http://vistasupport.mvps.org/remove_oem_branding_from_pc.htm

Edited by dif, 27 January 2012 - 07:34 AM.

#7 Ripleysteven

Ripleysteven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2012 - 04:50 PM

I looked into and applied the info from the first link. This went well, except for changing the logo. I wasn't allowed to change or alter it.
Now, I have a Gateway manufacturer, a nice URL link, and a silly looking Dell logo. I wish the brand removal method from the second link had worked, because I think there are other places with the Dell branding. I ran the command with RUN, but nothing happened. It just disappeared and didn't come back. It may not be professional, but I'd love to put an Apple or Tux in there with Gateway lettering. Thanks again.

#8 Ripleysteven

Ripleysteven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2012 - 04:52 PM

I looked into and applied the info from the first link. This went well, except for changing the logo. I wasn't allowed to change or alter it.
Now, I have a Gateway manufacturer, a nice URL link, and a silly looking Dell logo. I wish the brand removal method from the second link had worked, because I think there are other places with the Dell branding. I ran the command with RUN, but nothing happened. Run just ran off and didn't come back. It may not be professional, but I'd love to put an Apple or Tux in there with Gateway lettering. Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users