Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Image Name "System" ; Windows Task Manager

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Silverbak

Silverbak

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 25 January 2012 - 01:35 AM

Hello,

Recently I noticed that my computer has slowed down. I found in the Task Manager, an Image Name "System" that was using a large amount (65-70%) of CPU. When I would run an application, or download something from the Internet, the CPU would go to 100%, and everything would slow down to a crawl. When I rebooted, the CPU of "System" would be in the 10% range for a while, but then would increase. I've run a full scan using Malware and Avast and nothing showed up.

Any thoughts as to what is causing this and how it might be controlled?

Thank you in advance,
Robert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 25 January 2012 - 01:38 AM

I have seen this on PC which has AVG antivirus

If you have AVG then its common

Good luck

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 25 January 2012 - 02:32 AM

There is a legitimate, and vital, process named "System." This process will always have a process ID number of 4. If you have a process named "System" and its process ID number is not 4, then you may have been infected, in which case you should ask for help in the Am I Infected? What Do I Do? forum.

There's another process named "System Idle Process" which is present in all recent versions of Windows. The System Idle Process shows the percent of the time that no program is running, and is there fore an inverse indicator of total CPU usage. Many people see the System Idle Process taking up 99% of their CPU time and worry that something is wrong, but that's actually how it's supposed to be.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users