Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

First overclock with new cpu.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Wooshie

Wooshie

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:44 PM

I was tooling around with my new setup. I was shooting for the 4GHZ cause I'm greedy. I got close,but I think I ned a beefier cooler.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wooshie

Wooshie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2012 - 12:17 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/dpHsCvANg6dDUOna4ywpKb8

I got my new rig up and going. I started off with air cooling and was trying to get 4GHZ out of it. I was close, but it couldn't stay chilled on the stock cooler. I posted my CPUZ results.I want to get 4.3-4.5 out of my setup. I switched the the corsair H100. I have read a lot of reviews where people are keeping temps down with this cooler. I don't know what all settings I should play with to get my setup stable. I want to move a little bit at a time and not just jump to high and get frustrated. I am new to liquid cooling. I have made many succesful overclocks with air colling in the past. I'm not afraid of toasting something (it happens), but If someone has some experience with thubans I would appreciate a nudge in the right direction.

#3 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:56 PM

I have the exact same CPU as you do and i got mine up to 3.8GHz. I could get it at 4.1GHz with a high bus speed but when the cpu was under load, it would crash which means it wasn't fully stable. If your trying to achieve a overclock of 4.3 to 4.5, that won't be easy. By having the same cpu chip, it doesn't mean it will overclock the same frequency since every chip is different. So my 1090T could possibly overclock higher then your 1090T if i was a better overclocker :P Other factors to consider when overclocking is by the cooling, not just the cpu cooling but the MOSFET cooling. Some motherboards like mine don't have the MOSFET heatsink which makes it a bit harder to overclock and higher risk of overheating. In the BIOS, by having lots of options to overclock, you can possibly achieve higher frequency with such motherboards that has many options like the Asus ROG motherboards.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:33 PM

In essence, any chip when combined with the same hardware, should overclock to the same speed when overclocked by people of equal skill. Keep in mind you have to also take into affect motherboard chipset, BIOS options, chipset (mosfet) cooling like killer suggested, as well as overall cooling. Especially with air cooling-you need to also keep in mind the cooling in the case and outside air temperature can all come into play. a $200 aftermarket cooler may not do the trick if the air going into the case is already at 100 degrees fahrenheit, it will defeat the purpose. The better cooling in the case the better the overclock-I have seen people with a well ventilated case and stock CPU heatsink out overclock someone with a aftermarket heatsink due to this fact. Proper air flow and case cooling are very very important-as important as the hardware yet many people forget about this.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 Wooshie

Wooshie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:21 AM

Well, I experimented for about 2 hours last night andI hit 4.3 ghz. I was having problems keeping it stable so I backed off it a tad and I will play with it some more in the future. This is where I am currently at.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users