Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

network adapter v rouuter

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jqh

jqh

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:34 PM

my son's computer (W7) has a Broadcom f/g network adapter. He upgraded his router to an "N" type and was told by Linksys that he needed an "N" network adapter. Best Buy guy said he didn't because the "N" router would compensate for the difference. But other on-line sources indicated that the f/g adapter would slow down the faster input from the 'N" router. What's the answer? Should I get a "N" adapter for a faster signal or is it OK?

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 7 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:45 PM

The router will work with the 'G' adapter if it has been set to. This is usually called 'mixed mode' or something similar in the settings. It's also usually the default.

However, the connection will only work as fast as the 'G' adapter. An 'N' adapter has benefits of both range and speed, so if the cost is not an problem, then upgrading is desirable.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users