Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hi

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 diving

diving

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:23 PM

Background is medical related at work for pay.

I have been repairing the family computers for about the past 15years & presently usually use MBAM, MSFT, Avast cold boot, and occasionally following some command info found on forums like this/ usually have solved problems other than virus by playing chess & removing conflicting programs, duplicates, etc. till the system was happy with performing. occasionally have used ccleaner etc. and more seldomly changed registry info with regedit and occasionally changed system services of auto vs. manual vs. disable ex. of lexmark printer service which is no longer used / backing up with acronis usually by just copying extra drive to replace if needed.

An older XP computer being used by one of the kids in a post grad. program at UF was loaded to the gills with I believe VPN programs, REF-grab it, and 4 different printers for choices. Processor core 2 duo @ 1.6GHz with only 1.5GB Ram. The computer was as fast as a snail prior to it being replaced. I have now re-inherited it for the other kids as primarily a web-surfer and lite homework in high school type computer.

I am presently working on removing the VPN, REF-grab it, and all but one printer a brother 2170W which is now printing successfully.

The boot time is extremely slow at about 9 minutes prior to successfully reaching an online site such as google and the last rate limiting step is apparently windows firewall to be turned on (it is set for auto). Once I am surfing the web, i can switch users and come back to load the avast/security essentials/ & I do not get the firewall is off..please turn it on message from security essentials. I am presently running Mbam and may be asking for help after it finishes if nothing is detected. Also, I am at microsoft update downloading updates and apparently it was missing many of the office 2007 updates etc.

I am able to follow diagrams and routinely clean outboard carburators/replace bushings on lower boat tilt units/ and do my own home electrical work replacing fuse box's etc. in the home.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 25 January 2012 - 05:43 AM

Once you have run Mbam and have cleaned up all the gunk on your computer, run checkdisk and defragged, please don't hesitate to post about your problem(s).
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users