Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Saziegirl

Saziegirl

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:16 PM

I had started running Microsoft defrag, but it was taking so long, I got out of it and then tried restarting my computer in safe mode. This is the only mode I can play a particular Facebook game in so I use it quite often (my computer is VERY slow). But it just stopped loading. When I started the computer again in normal mode, I got the following blue screen message:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk defrag, or back-up utilities. Check hard drive configuration and for updated drivers.
Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption and restart
0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x82DCE348, 0xC0000102, 0x00000000)"

How do I run any of this when I can't get out of the blue screen?
I tried starting in safe mode with command prompt but, no matter what I do, I get the blue screen. I wasn't sure if I should use the install CD or not so I came here.

Thanks for any and all help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,575 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:22 PM

Insert the XP CD, boot to the Recovery Console, run chkdsk /r

#3 mark1956

mark1956

• Security Colleague
  • 271 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:31 PM

You should not stop Defrag mid flow, this has probably caused a bit of file corruption.

You need to use an XP disc, if that is what you have, a Recovery disk from the PC manufacturer will not work.

If you have an XP disk then follow this:

Put the disk in the CD drive when the PC is powered on and then reboot it.

Follow the prompts until you get an option for the Recovery Console. Press R on the keyboard and Enter.

At that c: prompt, type chkdsk /r exactly as written here with the gap before the slash, then hit Enter.

2.You will then see a message "Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)"

Type Y for yes, and press enter. Then reboot the computer into normal mode. Chkdsk will start when Windows begins loading again. Let all 5 phases run and don't use or turn off the computer. (The chkdsk process may take an hour or more to finish and may appear to freeze which is normal.)

3.Chkdsk finds any corrupted files that are causing the problem and fixes them. Read the results of each phase as it finishes. During the final phase, it will notify you if it finds any corrupted files. It also checks for bad blocks on the drive surface.

4.When the Check Disk is done, it will finish loading Windows.

If the XP disc does not boot and it goes straight to the Blue screen you will first have to boot into the Bios and change the boot order, so the CD drive is in 1st position.

Let us know what happens.

EDIT Sorry my post crossed with Allan's, but the additional instructions may help.

Edited by mark1956, 24 January 2012 - 05:33 PM.

#4 Sazie

Sazie

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 26 January 2012 - 05:13 PM

Thanks guys for your help and for the "extras" Mark. I haven't had to use this CD in so long, I wasn't sure what I should do. Everything is back in order!

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,575 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 26 January 2012 - 05:29 PM

You're welcome - glad to year you're back in business

#6 mark1956

mark1956

• Security Colleague
  • 271 posts