Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Word Docs And Maintenance Wizard

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nasher

nasher

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 12 February 2006 - 02:19 PM

Hi - hopefully someone out there can help me.

I've a couple of problems which I suspect are all related - the problem starts here.....

On Friday I opened an e-mail from someone I knew (work related) via Outlook and opened the attachment. No problems. Two hours later went back into Outlook to view the attachment and my computer froze....eventually got a message saying insufficient resource to complete the application (or something like that!). Re-booted my machine, same result..rebooted again....tried opening another word doc....same problem. My machine has 128MB of RAM, 52% is unused.

I tried running the maintenance wizard, but that seems in a loop and never goes anywhere - this is the first time I've seen this fault. Normally, cleaning the disc is done with no problems.

Has anyone got any ideas what I can do???? There are loads of companies selling possible solutions - scan disc and fault fix etc, but I don't really want to spend any money unless I have to!

Any replies would be really appreciated. I'm not very PC minded....just liked the sound of this site when searching for an answer and suspect a few of you out there have the same feeling for their PC as me at the moment! A non-PC user friendly answer would be brilliant.

Thanks

Nasher

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 12 February 2006 - 03:13 PM

From what you said about the attachment you very well could have picked up a bug. Do you have any antispyware or antivirus? Spybot, Adaware, AVG, Norton,...?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 12 February 2006 - 03:55 PM

First, were you expecting this document? Remember than much malware will masquerade itself as coming from someone you know (whose own computer has been compromised).
Second, if this is a legitimate document, can you try to save the file to your hard drive and then use Word to open it, or can you open ANY existing .doc with word- - -I wasn't sure from your post.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 nasher

nasher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 12 February 2006 - 04:03 PM

Thanks for your replies - I can't open any word documents at all.

The beauty of the e-mail to me was that I'd just applied for a new job and got this response. I was expecting the e-mail, but giving me an infected e-mail suggests they don't want me!

I use an antispyware via my ISP - in this case BT ( not sure where you are, but BT are one of the main ISP's in the UK). My e-mail should be clean....so much for that bit of their sales pitch.

If you've any inspirational ideas on how I can solve this problem (or problems ) it would be really appreciated.

Thanks Nasher

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 12 February 2006 - 04:56 PM

I cannot advise on Word. I know very little about it. You could download Ope Office 2.0.1 and use it to access your Word documents until a solution is found. OO will open, edit, create, Word documents.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 12 February 2006 - 05:13 PM

What version of Word do you have?
Have you considered uninstalling Office and then reinstalling it? You might consider attempting a system restore to a point before you got the Email.

Have you downloaded any available security patches for your version of Office?
Like Acklan, I am not an expert when it comes to the technical aspect of Word, but providing the version may help someone else with more experience.
Thanks
John

Edited by jgweed, 12 February 2006 - 05:16 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users