Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual/mirrored HD question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 deltacoolguy

deltacoolguy

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 24 January 2012 - 02:45 PM

If you have two hard drives, intended to be mirrored, and an installed RAID controller, allegedly set-up properly... how would you know if only one hard drive is working? Just from a day-to-day usage, I mean.

I'm asking because I have my computer in for some work at a local shop, and I was informed that one of the mirrored HDs was physically disconnected. I never knew. All this time I thought I had back-up in the case of physical HD failure and I didn't.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 24 January 2012 - 04:41 PM

Depending on the raid controller there may be software to monitor and warn if the raid array has a problem.

Many of them when you start the computer and watch the screen it will display the raid array status.

Keep in mind that a mirrored hard drive is no substitute for a backup of the drive.

Backups are to prevent data loss in case the array catches a virus or someone erases or modifies a file you need for example.

A Raid array is to allow the computer to continue to be used while the failed drive is replaced and prevent down time and not for backup.

With mirrored drives whatever happens, good or bad to the contents on one drive also happens to the other drive.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 deltacoolguy

deltacoolguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:51 PM

Right. When I said "back up" I meant in the case of a physical hard drive failure, not corrupted files, viruses, etc.

Anyway, when my computer would go through the boot process it would note the presence of a RAID set-up, and said something about "degraded", which I always presumed meant that the secondary/"back-up" HD was in some sort of 'slave' status, if that makes sense.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:07 PM

I could see you believing that if you had never seen it showing healthy, how would you know that wasn't the norm.

Degraded actually meant that there was a problem such as a failing or failed drive.

Now you know for the future. It should show healthy for status.

Good Luck

Edited by rotor123, 25 January 2012 - 10:21 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users