Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win Xp Pro

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wade222

wade222

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 24 January 2012 - 02:00 PM

HI all... I've been having some trouble with my ole Dell. First I somehow had lost the ability to use Java. Took me about 2 days working on it here and there but somehow I finally got java working again. I believe Java is working now as I can see applets and Javas homepage now recognizes I have java installed.

I'm still running on Win XP Pro. I thought maybe everything was just getting outdated so I decided to see if I could upgrade my 1 GB of Ram because I own Vista and Win 7 but have hesitated due to 7's 1GB of minimum ram. Haven't put Vista on because I've heard XP service pack 3 is just as good as upgrading to Vista.

Anyhow, I went to the Dell support site like I have in the past and first tried to let it look up my service tag. IE 8 crashed. So then I went to the upgrade section and allowed it to survey my machine. That never happened as my browser closed again. So I go to Dell PC Diagnostics. I click agree and i hear a warning beep (I think it was) the page refreshed then crashed. No error messages, it was like it just killed the process.

I was wondering if all those progs on Dells support page can have something to do with my Java problems.

Last week when working on Java, Javas site kept telling me I didn't have any working Java (I already knew it wasn't working) and I needed to download it. Well, every time I went to d/l it the crazy thing would error out. So I tried to uninstall from the control panel in the add and uninstall prog but it wouldn't let me (java 6 was in there but not working). I had to down load Revo and another prog just to delete enough stuff to where I could d/l Java to my computer from their manual site to get it installed. It worked, I think.

Any help would be great as I would really like to find out if I can add memory or if I can upgrade anything on this ole Dell. I have newer Laptops but this Desktop has been a GREAT workhorse. I'd hate to have to put it down...

No virus's or malware. None that Microsoft Security Essentials picks up anyway...I've never had a problem with MSE not doing its job...

Another thing, It came with Microsoft Media Center and I Installed Xp Pro... If i right click on my computer it tells me I'm running Media Center versions 2002...However, when I go to System Information it comes up with Pro... Not sure if this helps but I wanted to let you know this machine has a few things going on...

Below is a copy paste from my system information...

DellXPS 400

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP

Professional Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Name XXXX-FAMILY System Manufacturer Dell Inc.

System Model Dell DXP051

System Type X86-based PC Processor x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 4 GenuineIntel ~2793 Mhz BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A07, 1/8/2007 SMBIOS Version 2.3

Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS System

Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32 Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1 Locale United States Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)" User Name XXXX-FAMILY\XXXX FAMILY Time Zone Eastern Standard Time

Total Physical Memory 1,024.00 MB

Available Physical Memory 333.62 MB

Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB Available

Virtual Memory 1.96 GB Page File Space 2.40 GB Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Thanks, Wade...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2012 - 03:00 PM

Hi Wade,

The first thing I would try is to clear your cache in Internet Explorer.

If you haven't done this, here's how.

Open Internet Explorer
on the menu click TOOLS
click INTERNET OPTIONS
The internet options window should open
Click on the GENERAL tab and click the DELETE button in the 'Browsing History' section
A window opens with the options for what you can delete
Put a check next to these two (they are specific to the problem that I want to check if you are having while having a minimal effect on your web browsing)...

Preserve Favorites Websites Data
Temporary Internet Files

Leave the others unchecked and click the DELETE button.

After it is done deleting close the Internet Options window, close Internet Explorer, reboot the computer and see if you still have the issues with your browser shutting down.

James

#3 bluemagma

bluemagma

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:28 PM

Also if your troubles are mostly java related. Be sure you don't have more than one version installed. You can check this by going to add/remove programs under the control panel. If you have multiple entries then try removing all of them and reinstalling java. I guess it couldn't hurt to remove it if there is only one and reinstall it, but likely not the problem if there is only one.

#4 fetlock

fetlock

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 25 January 2012 - 04:06 PM

Hello Wade,

There are a couple more things you could try if the previous suggestions (which are very good suggestions by the way!) don't fix things for you:

• Reset Internet Explorer Settings to their default condition: Tools > Options > Advanced Tab. Click the Reset... button. Tick the Delete personal settings box. Then click the Reset button. This rules out other potential issues such as corrupt Add-Ons or Accelerators that can cause IE to crash. Note this will also reset things like your security settings and web form information
  • A reinstall or upgrade to the latest version of Internet Explorer is another option
  • Sun Java can be problematic sometimes. It is worth trying deleting Java Temporary Internet files: Control Panel > Java. Click the Settings... button, then the Delete Files... button. Click OK to confirm.

I hope you get your issue sorted soon.

Thanks,

Steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users