Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Visual Studio 2010 Launch Errors

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Krugzilla

Krugzilla

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:20 PM

Hello, I've been having a problem running Microsoft Visual Studios 2010 recently. Whenever I try to run VS, an error occurs saying: "The operation could not be completed. Access is denied." I've tried running as an admin, and I am currently logged into the admin account on my Windows 7 x64 OS. I've tried repairing and reinstalling VS2010, .NET, and all related products as far as I can tell. When I tried to reinstall/repair either VS2010 or .NET framework, midway through the installations/repairs I always received this same error about access being denied but the installation/repair went through anyways. I've been trying to figure this out for a few days now, can't seem to find anything relevant to solving my problem on the Microsoft website or elsewhere.

I wasn't sure which forum to post this in, sorry if you need to move it. Thanks ahead of time for any help.

*Edit* This is a legitimate version of Windows VS 2010, which I get through my University (Dreamspark). Is it possible that the software is expired or something along those lines? It has been working fine for about a year now.

Edited by Krugzilla, 24 January 2012 - 01:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:26 PM

Are there any suspicious errors in the system event log?

Do you get the access denied error on uninstallation, or only on repair installation?

Have you checked the installer log?

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#3 Krugzilla

Krugzilla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:53 PM

From dd_install_vs_procore_100.txt :
[01/19/12,11:28:37] Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Professional - ENU: CMSIDirectory::EnumerateVIProducts: Error enumerating Vertical Integration clients

[01/19/12,11:28:39] Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Professional - ENU: ***ERRORLOG EVENT*** : UpdateFileFetcherFromMsi: Warning: Missing fwlink entry for cabinet: #QFE.cab
[01/19/12,11:28:39] Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Professional - ENU: ***ERRORLOG EVENT*** : UpdateFileFetcherFromMsi: Warning: Missing fwlink entry for cabinet: #SP.cab

From dd_error_vs_procore_100.txt :
[01/19/12,11:28:39] Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Professional - ENU: [2] UpdateFileFetcherFromMsi: Warning: Missing fwlink entry for cabinet: #QFE.cab
[01/19/12,11:28:39] Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Professional - ENU: [2] UpdateFileFetcherFromMsi: Warning: Missing fwlink entry for cabinet: #SP.cab
01/19/12,11:38:26] Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 64bit Prerequisites (x64): [2] CMsiComponent::Install() expects the setup file for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 64bit Prerequisites (x64), but the file is not available.
[01/19/12,11:38:27] setup.exe: [2] ISetupComponent::Pre/Post/Install() failed in ISetupManager::InternalInstallManager() with HRESULT -2147467259.

dd_depcheck_vs_pro_100.txt contained a log of my VS 2010 installation but I couldn't find anything about the errors there. dd_depcheckdotnetfx30 contained things about .NET but didn't say anything about errors or VS 2010. Wasn't sure how to really analyze these logs, would you like me to upload them? The dd_error* log was especially lengthy and full of references to VS 2010.

As for System Event logs, I have a few errors but again I'm not sure what much of it means. I don't see anything directly/obviously related, would you like me to upload these logs?

*Edit* Oh, and I think I got the error during uninstallation, reinstallation, repair, and launching. Seems like anytime I do anything related to VS 2010, I get the access denied error. I'll double check the uninstall to see if the error happened there, but I'm certain about the rest.

*Edit 2* Yes, it happens during uninstalls as well.

Edited by Krugzilla, 24 January 2012 - 02:07 PM.

#4 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 24 January 2012 - 02:33 PM

Hmm.. wish I could be more help :(

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#5 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 24 January 2012 - 02:57 PM

I'm not sure if you looked already or not, but the Microsoft forums look to already have this covered:
http://www.bing.com/search?q=%22Warning%3A+Missing+fwlink+entry+for+cabinet%22

#6 Krugzilla

Krugzilla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2012 - 03:45 PM

Hmm.. wish I could be more help :(

Billy3

Haha, don't worry about it, thanks for responding and hopefully the logs you asked about will bring some answers.

I'm not sure if you looked already or not, but the Microsoft forums look to already have this covered:
http://www.bing.com/search?q=%22Warning%3A+Missing+fwlink+entry+for+cabinet%22

Didn't see this one before, I'll try installing .NET 4 from standalone installer. I installed it through Windows Update before, maybe the standalone will fare better. The rest I've already tried (uninstall/reinstall/repair for both .NET and VS2010). Thanks for the reply.

*Edit 2* After reinstalling .NET through the standalone installer, the VS 2010 tools for office runtime uninstalled properly. I'm now reinstalling VS 2010, hopefully it works this time.
*Edit 3* Well, this time around using the standalone .NET installer, I got no errors messages during the VS 2010 installation but nonetheless the problem of access denied continues. As with before, the splash screen pops up on launch but then the access denied error occurs and VS 2010 closes.

The following is no longer relevant, but I'll keep it up in case it's important later.
*Edit* So I tried to use the standalone installer to repair .NET first, it was successful without errors but the problem didn't disappear. I'm now uninstalling .NET 4, VS 2010, and all related software. I noticed I didn't uninstall ASP.NET MVC 2 Visual Studio tools (or something like that) the first time, so I've uninstalled it this time. It produced some "unknown errors" during the removal but it went through fine otherwise. Uninstalling VS 2010 gave me unknown errors as well this time, and now I'm uninstalling Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime (x64) and got this error:

Error 1316.A network error occurred while attempting to read from the file: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VSTO\10.0\Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime (x64)\vstor40_x64.msi

This rolled back the uninstall and it failed, I tried it again just to make sure and it repeated this same error / rollback. Attempted to repair it first, got another error:

Error 1304.Error writing to file: Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Hosting.dll. Verify that you have access to that directory.

On retry, it gave me another error code (clicked yes out of it too fast, sorry)

Long story short, I'm restarting my computer to see if I can uninstall that last piece and then I'll try installing .NET 4 from standalone + install VS 2010 again.

Edited by Krugzilla, 24 January 2012 - 05:12 PM.

#7 Krugzilla

Krugzilla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:29 AM

Bumping, I still haven't been able to resolve this problem, can anyone suggest what I should do? Maybe there's a better forum for these types of questions?

#8 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:44 AM

Yes. The MSDN forums. Every thread I have read indicates that it is a corrupted install though, so if your install image is corrupted, then you will continue to have issues. Sorry, that's the best I can do.

#9 DavidWJ

DavidWJ

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:13 AM

You did run windows update and install Service Pack 1 for VS2010, and all of the .net items
One could always use revo uninstaller or your uninstaller and use them to uninstall and clean up all references to the program and then reinstall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users