Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

picking a SSD

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Wooshie

Wooshie

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:37 AM

I have been thinking about making the move to a SDD. I have been waiting for the technology y to become stable. From my research Intel seems to be the preferred choice. I have read quite a few reviews on newegg, but after doing so I am not sure if upgrading is a good option. There seems to be a lot of people who have dead drives or have them fail I'm a fairly short time span. I also have read firmware update horror stories. So is a SSD worth the investment? If so I would like to get between an 80gb and 128 gb model. People who have experience please help me make up my mind. Post links to your preferred drives and explain why.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 24 January 2012 - 02:36 PM

No links, sorry. I've used Intel 320 Series drives in two Desktops and two laptops, 120Gb, 160Gb and 300Gb drives.

They were a pretty new model when I bought them. TroubleFree. I did do the Firmware update when it came out of course.

Two Samsung SSDs used as bootable clones of one of the desktop and one of the laptops, no problems there either.

One Kingston 96Gb bootable clone of the Other desktop. I bought one of the Samsungs and the Kingston for friends (?) when I was doing a Newegg order then they backed out so I've repurposed them.

The Intels and the Samsungs were chosen for reliability. The Intel 320 Series was raised to a 5 year warranty too.

The Kingston looked ok from User reviews.
The Drives available at that time with the new Sandforce controller chip were causing all kinds of problems at the time.

The Intel & Samsung used their own controller chip. A Mature design.

You will want to have the Motherboard controller set to AHCI. leaving room on the drive will help with longevity by giving wear leveling extra room to use.

Edited by rotor123, 24 January 2012 - 02:40 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Wooshie

Wooshie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:36 PM

I chose this one. It was more in my budget and seems to be reliable.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:14 PM

?? nothing showing for what you picked. If it has the Sandforce controller make sure you update the firmware before using it. Actually good advice for any brand.

I predict that once you use a SSD you will love the speed and not want to go back to 7200 rpm drives.
Users have said that games loaded on their SSD run so much better depending on the game of course.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 24 January 2012 - 06:16 PM.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:18 PM

I chose this one. It was more in my budget and seems to be reliable.

You didn't link it properly.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#6 Wooshie

Wooshie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:28 PM

http://www.neweggbusiness.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233205

#7 ACA service

ACA service

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2012 - 01:34 PM

I have the 60GB version of that one, and it's fantastic. Benchmarks on it show that it reaches advertised speeds. I only use it for the OS (Windows 7) and a few apps, and I still have 30GB free.

I don't get the boot time I expected though, it takes 18 seconds after post till I see the desktop, but maybe that's because I have 5 other regular hard drives connected. I was expecting it to be under 10 seconds after post, but 18 is not bad, I guess.

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2012 - 03:28 PM

Is the controller set to AHCI mode?

I have identical SSDs in two laptops and the the Dual Core Intel laptop boots smuch faster than the Single core AMD laptop.

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users