Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer takes ages to start

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 massalto

massalto

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:04 AM

Hi,

I've small HP computer that isn't starting properly. When I turn it on it goes to a blue screen with options to go to setup, system recovery, boot options, and diagnostics. It normally shows for a few seconds and then starts normally, at the moment it takes around half an hour before moving on. Once it gets past this screen at all works absolutely fine.

I've spoken to some one who said it was a hardware problem and that I buy a new machine, but I'd like to attempt to fix it first. Hopefully someone can help.

Kind regards

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,643 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 24 January 2012 - 12:07 PM

What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

Also, what OS is installed?

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:14 PM

One quick question. IS it the same way on a restart?

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 massalto

massalto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:30 PM

Hiya, nothing is new. It's been running ok for weeks and once it has booted it comes up clean in Kaspersky. My children were apparently fighting over it before it went wrong so it may have been physically damaged (but I wouldn't know how to tell if it has been).

It is Vista home premium

#5 massalto

massalto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:31 PM

One quick question. IS it the same way on a restart?

Yes the I restarted about 20 minutes ago and it still is on the HP screen.

#6 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:21 PM

What is the model name and number of the computer?

Edited by LucheLibre, 24 January 2012 - 06:22 PM.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#7 Jerryo1314

Jerryo1314

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:12 PM

Disconnect every thing but mouse and keyboard. try again.
If a tmp hang up there is a nice free cleaner at www.iobit.com

Jerry

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2012 - 03:40 PM

Jerryo1314, www.iobit.com is not the most reputable site and I wouldn't suggest it.
Avast Webrep puts them in the green, however Web Of Trust has them in the yellow.
http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/iobit.com

Also if you were suggesting a registry cleaner then keep in mind that BleepingComputer.com reccomends against using them.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#9 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:01 PM

Hi

For extremely slow boots that start happening for no obvious reason, I go through a troubleshooting workflow like this...

Does it boot normally in Safe Mode?

If so, I check the event viewer and or run a program like Sysinternals' Autoruns (free) to track down what is trying to load in normal mode that is not loading in safe mode.

If not, then I boot it normally and check the event viewer for errors during the boot process and check Device Manager to see if any drivers did not load.

If I still can't fix it then I run Windows disk checking program by right clicking on the disk in Windows Explorer and choosing PROPERTIES clicking the TOOLS tab then the CHECK NOW button.

If you need more detailed instructions on any of this, let me know.

James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users