Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Very Pleasant Support Experience

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:26 AM

You know, we do a lot of complaining about things on support forums but I just had a very pleasant experience I need to tell you about.

One of the add-ons I've been using for a long time with Firefox is Colorful Tabs. Aside from brightening up the screen a little (as a traditionalist I prefer a simple interface with no "persona" - but a little color is nice Posted Image ) it makes it easy to glance at the tab bar an know which color is which site. This may not sound like a big deal, but give it a shot - after using it for a short while I think you'll agree it's hard to do without. You can assign specific colors for specific domain hostnames (my choice).

Well in the new release, which supports current Firefox versions, the text in the tabs seemed a little fainter to me. I installed it on several systems with the same result. This morning I sent an email to the developer asking if this could be addressed in future releases. Within 15 minutes the developer replied to me asking for screen shots, which I promptly provided. A few minutes later he sent another note saying that the current version adds a white "halo" around the text and this seems to be causing the faintness I noticed. He went on to say that if I find it an issue he will make this optional in the next release. This entire conversation, from my first email to his acknowledgment of the issue and a proposed solution took less than half an hour from start to finish. There was absolutely no defensiveness on his part, only a desire to support a user (and a willingness to make a change to the product code based on only one complaint!!!). And let's keep in mind these add-ons are free!

Okay, this may not be a big deal, but I was impressed enough with this level of support to create this post. If only ALL customer service was this exceptional Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Keith1

Keith1

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 24 January 2012 - 02:48 PM

Yes Alan.... that is VERY refreshing to hear. :thumbup2:

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2012 - 05:58 AM

That's open source for you.
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Allan

Allan
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:49 AM

That's open source for you.

indeed

#5 Keith1

Keith1

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:29 PM

Not meaning to get off topic here, but, I tried the Colorful Tabs addon, and I love it! Once I get accustomed to which color goes with which site, it will make things much easier. Also, I don't know how many times I have started to close FF, and get the 'open tabs' message - I think the colored tabs will be a visual awareness to prevent that in the future. :thumbup2:

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,220 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:43 PM

Nice to know it can still happen. Sure beats my usual

Posted Image
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 grassy

grassy

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 25 January 2012 - 11:10 PM

Really good to hear. We live in a fast world that changes rapidly and leaves plenty of space for good support, but unfortunately is not picked up upon. Instances like this might be rare and even shock us. Hey life is good and there are people who care.:thumbup2:

MY SYSTEM, IN-WIN 909 SILVER CASE, INTEL 3960X PROCESSOR,CORSAIR DOMINATOR 2133 RAM,RAMPAGE 4 EXTREME BLACK EDITION MOTHERBOARD, NVIDIA GTX980ti GRAPHICS CARD,,EK 980TI WATERBLOCK
CORSAIR FORCE SERIES GS 360GIG SSD,SANDISK EXTREME 480GIG SSD,SAMSUNG 180 GIG SSD,,BITSPOWER FITTINGS
2 B&W MM1 COMPUTER SPEAKERS,DELL U3011/30 INCH MONITOR,HEATKILLER PRO4 CPU WATERBLOCK,CORSAIR AX1200 POWER SUPPLY....

#8 Allan

Allan
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:08 AM

Not meaning to get off topic here, but, I tried the Colorful Tabs addon, and I love it! Once I get accustomed to which color goes with which site, it will make things much easier. Also, I don't know how many times I have started to close FF, and get the 'open tabs' message - I think the colored tabs will be a visual awareness to prevent that in the future. :thumbup2:

Yep, I agree. And just in case you haven't yet discovered this feature, you can assign specific colors to each site yourself and they will remain the same even in between sessions.

#9 Keith1

Keith1

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2012 - 01:29 PM

Thanks Allan, I saw that option and have most of my 'site specific' colors set. :busy:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users