Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Set Ie6 As Default Browser Even After Clean Install

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Cypod

Cypod

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 12 February 2006 - 01:05 PM

I have posted this in several other forums and newsgroups during the past week. So far, no one had been able to solve it...

I removed "Spy Sheriff" from my AMD64 system. Everything worked after cleaning but XP SP2 was buggy. Internet Explorer also stopped asking to be the default browser (both Firefox 1.5.01 and IE6 were installed). I tried everything to remedy this but nothing worked.

A number of options also appear to be missing from my BIOS setup that used to be there, including the "Built-in Virus protection".

I reinstalled XP Home SP2 and both browsers but the problems described above remain. Could malware have damaged my BIOS? (my apologies if this is posted in the wrong section.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 12 February 2006 - 01:16 PM

The problem probably resides in your registry, not your bios.

What steps have you taken to repair Internet Explorer?

Go to the control panel and click on "Internet Options",

Click the "programs" tab,

Check the box that says "Internet Explorer should check to see if it is the default browser".

Click "apply", click "OK".

What other problems are you experiencing?

Edited by Enthusiast, 12 February 2006 - 01:18 PM.

#3 Cypod

Cypod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2006 - 02:58 PM

Thanks but I am WAY beyond that. Here is what I have already tried without success:

-Virtually every combination of "...should check to see if it is the default browser" in both IE6 and Firefox, both before and after rebooting.

-Every possible combination of settings in Add/Remove Programs > Set Program Access and Defaults, both before and after rebooting.

-"Reset Web Settings" in IE6

-Changing URL file associations in File Types for both IE6 & FF.

-Clicked on Add/Remove Windows Components, then selected Internet Explorer and clicked Next (possible clue: this worked once; Explorer asked to be the default. After rebooting it stopped working. Repeating the process now has no effect.)

-Ran sfc /scannow. (BTW, in my first install it didn't report any errors. Now it always asks for my XP disk to copy files to the DLL cache whenever I run it.)

-Downloaded and ran reg fix from windows.mvps.org/reg/:
IE_Default_Browser.reg

-Typed command shmgrate.exe OCInstallReinstallIE in Run box, hit enter.

-Edited reg key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT \ http \ shell \ open \ command, replacing the existing (default) value to the text "something.exe". Rebooted.

-Tried running IEFIX: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/iefix.htm

-Downloaded and ran the following registry fixes from kellys-korner-xp.com:

stbrws14.exe (#88: Set Default Browser In Windows)

defaultbrowser.reg (#106: Lock Default Browser)

checkassoc.reg (#247: Set IE to Check for Default Browser

-Undid all reg fixes above, then tried each one again after rebooting.

-Removed and reinstalled Firefox, once with earlier version, once with latest version.

-Changed registry to reflect that IE6 was not installed, then reinstalled IE6.

-Performed Repair Install (twice)

-Repeated ALL the steps above after each Repair Install

-Performed Clean Install

If this was a registry problem, why didn't a clean install fix it? That and the fact my BIOS settings look suspect makes me want to look there...

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 12 February 2006 - 03:37 PM

Have you tried to reset the bios yet? Usually this is done by a 3 pin jumper on the motherboard near the bios battery. I do not know the make and model of your computer so I can't be more specific, except to say you usually change the jumper, wait 30 seconds, change it back. This will reset the bios back to the original factory settings.

Have you attempted a bios update yet? You might check with the manufacturer of your computer and see if one is available.

Lastly, how did you clean off the hard drive before your clean install? Just formatting? Formatting alone is often not enough. You need to use a program such as Killdisk or others to perform a low level formatting, a writting over the entire drive. Often you then need to boot to a dos disk and run fdisk, and then format and install the operating system.

Be careful of reinstalling your data. You must be sure that your data does not include malicious software.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#5 Cypod

Cypod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2006 - 04:07 PM

Thank You very much for responding...

Have you tried to reset the bios yet? Usually this is done by a 3 pin jumper on the motherboard near the bios battery. I do not know the make and model of your computer so I can't be more specific, except to say you usually change the jumper, wait 30 seconds, change it back. This will reset the bios back to the original factory settings.

Are you referring to "clearing the CMOS"? This hasn't been done yet but it was one of my next steps - I think there is a reset button on the motherboard for this.

Have you attempted a bios update yet? You might check with the manufacturer of your computer and see if one is available.

I haven't tried this. My motherboard is an MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum. Flashing the BIOS is kind of a "last resort" thing for me due to the risk and apparent complexity involved in doing so with this board (at least from what I have read).

Lastly, how did you clean off the hard drive before your clean install? Just formatting? Formatting alone is often not enough. You need to use a program such as Killdisk or others to perform a low level formatting, a writting over the entire drive. Often you then need to boot to a dos disk and run fdisk, and then format and install the operating system.

I just allowed Windows to reformat the drive using an XP Home SP2 CD, then I reinstalled XP. I will certainly look into Killdisk.

Be careful of reinstalling your data. You must be sure that your data does not include malicious software.

I salvaged my Data files by burning to DVDs via Nero. All files were scanned before and after saving with Sophos, Spy Sweeper, and a host of pther programs. I never actually got as far as reinstalling any of my former data anyway at this point - I wanted to resolve these problems first.

#6 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2006 - 04:11 PM

Are you referring to "clearing the CMOS"?

Yes, same thing.

Flashing the BIOS is kind of a "last resort"

Are we there yet? :thumbsup: It helps to have your computer plugged into a Uninteruptable Power Supply (UPS) during the flashing. If power happens to go out during flashing, there may be no recovery. The flashing itself does not take long, perhaps from a few seconds to a few minutes.

Good luck!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#7 Cypod

Cypod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2006 - 08:59 PM

OK... Postscript - PROBLEM SOLVED!:

I had been using Webroot "Spy Sweeper" off & on with my system. While running it recently to scan my back-up files on a DVD, the elusive "Internet Explorer is not currently your default browser - Would you like to make it your default browser?" suddenly popped up. I answered yes. Keeping in mind some comments a poster on another forum had made about his anti-spy program, I decided to shut down Spy Sweeper. Now each browser in turn was asking to be the default browser... the default queries live again!

Apparently Spy Sweeper WAS running in resident status in my previous tests and I had somehow overlooked this. I tried tinkering with the program to fix this but no luck so far (I have a trouble ticket submitted with them). For the time being I am going to leave it shut down as it is definitely the culprit.

As far as the BIOS goes, a close scrutiny of the motherboard User's Guide shows that the BIOS utility setup appears to be correct, so I guess I would have to say that there was "much ado about nothing" on that part of it.

Albert, thank you again for your able assistance. :thumbsup:

#8 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2006 - 07:58 AM

You are welcome. For any one thing that can act wrong on a computer there is at least 6 things that can cause it, making troubleshooting difficult. I am glad you got it figured out, and thanks for coming back in here and writing what the cause of the problem was, because this will benefit others in the future who read this thread.

If you find out more from the SpySweeper people, let us know!
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users