Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it safe to tamper with??

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 LordSlizzurp

LordSlizzurp

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 24 January 2012 - 02:59 AM

I was in safe mode and I noticed in control panel advanced power settings, the one where you select when to sleep and turn off display and also what the power buttons and lid close does, i changed the cooling system to active, meaning my fan speeds up before processor slows down, but also i noticed a setting for min and max processor speed, minimum was set to 5% and max was at 100%, im assuming that minimum was the slowest allowable speed for any computing that the processor does, so i changed it to 20% thinking that it would speed things up a little bit, ive got an intel i7 with 8 2ghz cores so i didnt think i would be taxing it too much to turn the minimum up to 20%. I then restarted and looked for any differences, I noticed that desktop loaded quicker, not by a significant amount though. I just wanted to know if I shouldnt play with those settings and if min processor speed means something different that what im thinking??? and whether or not I should change it back???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dif

dif

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:49 AM

I think you have found the speedstep settings.
With normal usage the processor runs at one speed, but as soon as it is pushed (video editing etc) it automatically speeds up.
It will use more power and run a little hotter if you permanently enable it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users