Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AMD Radeon HD 4850

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 vathael

vathael

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 24 January 2012 - 12:12 AM

This is a Copy/Paste from a SWTOR forum, still same issue. Just trying to figure out a solution. Any help appreciated.

I have an ATI/AMD Radeon HD 4850 1GB Graphics card in my pc and it works great for the most part but there are just little graphical mess ups that I notice that are nothing major, of course, but I wanted to upgrade my video drivers to see if it would fix those. I was hoping maybe someone out there had one of these video cards and understood the problem... but here goes. Every time I go to upgrade my graphics drivers, everything goes well. I restart my PC, it boots correctly but the AMD VISION Engine Control Center program doesn't start like it should. If I try to start it, the screen goes black and the PC ends up restarting. Even if I don't try to open the program manually (I suppose the app is still trying to start) my PC will end up shutting down within 30 seconds of Windows starting. Keep in mind this is all after a video driver update. So after messing with it for a bit I'll get fed up and just go into safemode and rollback my drivers to the original version and everything works as it did before, which is all fine and dandy except it irks me that I can't update my video drivers at all. Thoughts? Suggestions?

PC Specs:
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
AMD Phenom II X4 970 Black Edition 3.5 GHz
AMD Radeon HD 4850
Catalyst Version 11.7 (latest is 11.12)
8GB DDR3

If you want any other details just ask.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jelerak

Jelerak

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 24 January 2012 - 12:53 AM

Hello vathael;

You have Microsoft Visual Studio® 2005 edition installed? You might check this page at AMD forum see if that is the problem. Don't know if you can save your current driver to flash drive, then uninstall drivers, install new ones so no update.........

Jelerak

Edited by Jelerak, 24 January 2012 - 01:02 AM.

#3 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:30 PM

Make sure you completely uninstall the previous drivers before installing the new ones.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:03 PM

Make sure the old ones are completly uninstalled first, and then reinstall the new ones-and where are you getting the drivers from? some third part driver providers only provide the updated driver itself, not the CCC-and if that is the case, the new driver may not be getting along with the CCC, its best to download the driver straight from AMDs website, it will come with both driver and CCC. On the other note, if the old drivers work fine then theres no need to change-I had to do that with CCC 11.1-it wouldnt work with my crossfire setup so I had to roll back my drivers until the next version came out.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users