Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

restarting back to factory settings

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bj0sh

Bj0sh

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:40 PM

Recently i started having trouble with my computer after downloading a program for a college class. I have been looking into ways to clean my PC since removing it. One way i keep coming across is that you should restore the computer every year. My main question is if i use F10 while the computer is booting and use the restore to factory setting option will i lose Windows and all programs. or will my computer keep the programs it came with when i turned it on for the very first time, if that is the case i wouldn't mind because i really just use my computer for games and do not have anything major saved to it.

Edited by Bj0sh, 24 January 2012 - 09:03 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 24 January 2012 - 02:24 AM

The system recovery partition will set back your computer all programs installed from the day you acquired which is equivalent to OEM recovery discs. All data and programs installed there after will be deleted. There are some laptops that have a back-up option before proceeding to the factory install.

Tekken

#3 Bj0sh

Bj0sh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:32 AM

ok, so if i do restore it to OEM will i have to get reload windows? Sorry for asking dumb questions, i just want to be very sure of what i'm doing and make sure i'm not opening a can of worms.

#4 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 24 January 2012 - 04:01 PM

By using the recovery option, you will lose everything on the PC. The PC will be restored to exactly how it was when you bought it.

Meaning only the default programs, Operating System (Ex: Windows XP), and files will be installed on the PC. Any programs you've installed or files you've saved will be deleted.

#5 Bj0sh

Bj0sh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:02 PM

ok, sounds good. Thank you for all the help. I'm going to have to give it a try seeing as how all i have really installed that is important since getting my computer are graphic drives for the graphics card and a few games which i can re install. other then that there is really nothing of great importance on my pc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users