Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help getting stuff off my computer

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 smhuskey

smhuskey

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:41 PM

I have a Dell Inspiron E1505 and I have been on here before to try to get it fixed and I pretty sure it is past the point of fixing so I am going to get a new one but I was wondering if there is anyway to get it to go on to get my important files off of there. It is stuck in a restart loop so i cannot get it to the main screen. I just have some many pictures and other things off of there I need. If someone could help me out I would appreciate it. I know I have a few viruses that have infected my cd drive and everything else we tried reformating it last time but that did not even help. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,577 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2012 - 08:03 PM

<<I know I have a few viruses that have infected my cd drive and everything else we tried reformating it last time but that did not even help.>>

Well...that bothers me. If you reformatted the hard drive...that should have taken care of malware...so I don't know exactly what you did.

Assuming that there are no malware concerns and the hard drive has no problems...the easiest way to move data files would be simply to connect the hard drive as a secondary drive to any system...and move desired data files to another system, another drive, or removeable media.

When doing that, you will probably have to take ownership of any files which are included under Docs/Settings (My Docs, My Music, etc.).

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

Louis

#3 mark1956

mark1956

• Security Colleague
  • 271 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 24 January 2012 - 04:22 AM

I know I have a few viruses that have infected my cd drive and everything else we tried reformating it last time but that did not even help

A virus cannot infect the cd drive so I assume you mean the hard drive. If you reformatted then you will have wiped out all the data.

A reboot loop is usually repairable, do you have an XP disc?

Edited by mark1956, 24 January 2012 - 05:52 AM.

#4 JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• Malware Response Team
  • 11,961 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:01 AM

You still have the xPUD CD? If you do we can try getting the system up, or you can use xPUD to transfer files to another computer. You can select multiple files in xPUD by holding the CTRL key and selecting the files by clicking on them. Right click and select Copy, then Paste those files into a removable device. Let me know your decision.

No request for help throughout private messaging will be attended.

If I have helped you, consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware!
btn_donate_SM.gif

#5 bluemagma

bluemagma

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:33 PM

If you reformatted and reinstalled and your still getting this problem. With nothing else installed. Please make sure you have an official copy of xp. Sometimes those ripped versions come with for lack of a better term "viruses" Also if you are using an official version of xp then please make sure that when you turn on the computer that you can atleast get into safe mode. If you can then you may want to try installing your chipset drivers.

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 25 January 2012 - 10:59 PM

You can also order recovery disks from Dell for a few bucks that will put the system back to an "out of the box" state.

I would take the drive out and connect it to another system to see if you can read it to get your data before doing anything else.
All digital media will fail in some way. Therefore, if it is important, it needs to be in at least two places.
Three or four places if it is really critical.

Further clarification of the problem would be helpful
In the beginning there was the command line.

#7 smhuskey

smhuskey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2012 - 06:36 PM

No I do not have that xPud disc. Did you give me that link before because I know you helped me with this before

#8 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 28 January 2012 - 03:11 AM

No I do not have that xPud disc.

Re: retrieving copies of your personal files from an unbootable computer
There are many options that can be used, but here are detailed instructions for using xPUD ...

:step1: Download GETxPUD.exe to the desktop of a working computer
  • Run GETxPUD.exe
  • A new folder will appear on the desktop.
  • Open the GETxPUD folder and click on get&burn.bat
  • The program will download xpud_0.9.2.iso, and when finished will open BurnCDCC ready to burn the image.
    Please be patient: This could take awhile - download file size 63MB.
  • Click on Start and follow the prompts to burn the image to a CD.

:step2: Boot the problematic computer to the xPUD CD.
  • A Welcome to xPUD screen will appear.
  • Click on File.
  • Expand the mnt icon on the left (click on the little arrow beside the icon).
  • sda1, sda2 etc. ...usually correspond to your HDD partitions
  • sdb1, sdc1 is likely to correspond to the partitions of any other connected hard drive, or USB flashdrive, external USB hard drive etc.
Are you able to view and access your data on the problematic hard drive partitions?

:step3: Copy your important files to an external media using xPUD:

• Firstly, connect the external hard drive or flashdrive to which you wish to save your files.
  • Open your hard drive partition and navigate to the files/folders that you wish to copy.
  • Select multiple files/folders by holding down the <CTRL> key and selecting them all.
  • Use right-click > Copy
  • Navigate to where you wish to save the files, and in the right-side window pane, use right-click > Paste.
To shut down the computer:
  • Home > Power off
Success?

Edited by AustrAlien, 28 January 2012 - 03:14 AM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#9 smhuskey

smhuskey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2012 - 02:08 PM

Since my computer can't read CDs can I use a jump drive

#10 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 29 January 2012 - 02:18 PM

Yup http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/

#11 smhuskey

smhuskey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2012 - 04:26 PM

Do I download it to the desktop oif the clean computer or straight to my USB port

#12 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 29 January 2012 - 04:49 PM

Download both USB Installer and the Linux .ISO of your choice to the Desktop of the working computer. Then run the USB Installer to load the .ISO to the flashdrive.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users