Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DNS server not found ERROR

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Tgriff

Tgriff

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:10 PM

Not really sure what's going on. I'm getting a DNS failure or error on sites that are common... ebay.. dell... and more. It's happening on 3 different computers:

1- Laptop
2- Desk top
3- Tablet.

Happened on a friends laptop when here. All of these computers are using different browsers too! All updated... I made sure.:

1- Google Chrome
2- Maxthon
3- IE
4- Opera

Things I have done:

1- unplug the modem, wait 1 minute, plug it back in.
2- Hit and hold the reset button (tech from cable company told me to do so) until the modem flashed.
3- Unplugged the wireless router... 1 minute then plugged in

Anybody got a better clue than the comcast people??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nightspear

Nightspear

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:31 PM

Have you checked the DNS settings? Make sure they are set to obtain and IP and DNS address automatically.

I don't know what version of windows you are running, so if you are running XP go to your control panel. If you are using Classic view click network connections. If you are using categorized view click Network and Internet Connections > Network Connections. Right click on your connecting network and select properties. Select TCP/IP and click properties. Verify both IP and DNS are set to Obtain address automatically.

If you are using Vista or Windows 7 type ncpa.cpl in the search box. Right click on your connecting network and select properties. Select TCP/IP and click properties. Verify both IP and DNS are set to Obtain address automatically.

Another thing you should cover is to update the driver for your network card. However, if you recently updated Windows, you might want to check Microsoft for a specific fix for your version of Windows

Can you connect now?

Edited by Nightspear, 23 January 2012 - 05:50 PM.

#3 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:33 PM

I would also go to the cmd prompt and run ipconfig /flushdns to eliminate the possiblity of a bad cached entry.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#4 Tgriff

Tgriff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2012 - 02:30 AM

Have you checked the DNS settings? Make sure they are set to obtain and IP and DNS address automatically.

I don't know what version of windows you are running, so if you are running XP go to your control panel. If you are using Classic view click network connections. If you are using categorized view click Network and Internet Connections > Network Connections. Right click on your connecting network and select properties. Select TCP/IP and click properties. Verify both IP and DNS are set to Obtain address automatically.

If you are using Vista or Windows 7 type ncpa.cpl in the search box. Right click on your connecting network and select properties. Select TCP/IP and click properties. Verify both IP and DNS are set to Obtain address automatically.

Another thing you should cover is to update the driver for your network card. However, if you recently updated Windows, you might want to check Microsoft for a specific fix for your version of Windows

Can you connect now?

I can connect to the internet. Only certain sites are being blocked. EBAY.. DELL.. to name a few.

I check the TCP/IP. Both are set correctly.

#5 Tgriff

Tgriff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2012 - 02:52 AM

Please keep in mind, this is happening on several computers in my home..... not a isolated thing..

#6 Nightspear

Nightspear

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:58 PM

Can you ping the sites that are giving you trouble?

Open a comand prompt by going to the start menu and type CMD into he run box. A black window with white text should open. Type ipconfig /flushdns (make sure there is only one space between the g and the /). Type Ping www.ebay.com or what ever site is giving you trouble. let me know what sites are letting you successfully ping them. A successful ping will be 4 packets sent and received and 0 lost.

The main thing I am getting at here is to find out if packets are getting lost/droped and to retrieve the IP adderss of the troublesome site, so take note of the IP address at the top of the ping results. (note that I was not able to successfully ping ebay, but I can connect to it through the URL. It appears that the pinged IP is a page other than the home page). An other thing you might want to check is the HTTP in the address bar. Make sure it says HTTP:// and not HTTPS:// or FTP://.

Lets use ebay as an example. When I ping www.ebay.com on the top line it says "pinging www.ebay.com [66.211.181.161] with 32 bytes of data." The number inside the brackets is the ip address to ebay. Now take that IP and type it directly into your browser's address bar and hit enter. Try that with all trouble sites. do they connect?

if you still can not connect to the trouble site, they may be blocked in the routing tables of your router or in the host file. I personally can not help if the problem is in your routing table. that is beyond my knowledge at this point, because we have not covered that yet in class.

Let me know how it goes and will walk you through the host file if necessary.

Edit: spelling

Edited by Nightspear, 27 January 2012 - 01:12 PM.

#7 Nightspear

Nightspear

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2012 - 01:16 PM

Please keep in mind, this is happening on several computers in my home..... not a isolated thing..

These step should be taken on each machine. to determine if it is an issue with the network or the machine itself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users