Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Problems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jpbds

jpbds

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 22 January 2012 - 10:59 PM

Mod Edit: Split from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic434975.html ~ Hamluis.

I have exactly the same problem with one of my client's laptops (it is Dell XPS M1530 with Vista Ultimate). All the symptoms you described word by word. The timing of this problem's appearance is also similar (I assume you started to experience it about November/December 2011; the time when you wrote your post, please correct me if I am wrong). I was told about the problem first time in November (as far as I remember). I eventually remedied it by re-installing the system (I have replaced the hard drive as it had bad clusters, now I think it developed them as my client's only way to deal with frustration was to shut the laptop down again and again and again). However after about a month of smooth running the problem resurfaced in exactly the same way, shape and form. I suspect either a virus or a Microsoft update are causing this problem. Have you had any luck with sorting it out? If so, wouldn't you mind sharing your solution?

I have tried Malwarebytes (can't detect anything), Combofix (hangs forever when trying to generate report; eventually one must restart the machine and problem remains the same). There are some updates that the computer wants to have installed but I looked them up and they do not seem to be significant (Microsoft Office updates). Task manager as you pointed out never shows up and when I was trying to use Process Explorer it often hanged or did not work well.

The computer is also very slow with performing some very basic tasks and often hangs.

I have run full diagnostics but it seems that there are no problems with the hardware.

Jay

Edited by hamluis, 23 January 2012 - 04:32 PM.
PM sent new OP.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 24 January 2012 - 02:33 AM

Have you tried safemode or running a clean boot?

Tekken

#3 mark1956

mark1956

• Security Colleague
  • 271 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:16 AM

You should not attempt to run Combofix without the guidance of a Malware expert as this can cause further damage to the system.

Try this:

• Click on Start > type cmd in the search box. A box will open with CMD at the top, right click on it and select Run as Administrator. Another box will open, at the prompt, type chkdsk /r and press enter. (Note the gap between the k and the /) NOTE To run on an external drive use chkdsk C: /r replace the C: with the appropriate drive letter.
  • You will then see the following message:
  • chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)
  • Type Y for yes, and press enter. Then reboot the computer into normal mode.
  • chkdsk will start when Windows begins loading again. Let all 5 phases run and don't use or turn off the computer. (The chkdsk process may take an hour or more to finish, if it appears to freeze this is normal so do not interrupt it.)
  • chkdsk finds any corrupted files and fixes them. Read the results of each phase as it finishes. During the final phase, it will notify you if it finds any corrupted files. It will also report on finding any bad sectors on the hard drive, these will be blocked from further use and the data on them moved.
  • When the Disk Check is done, it will finish loading Windows.
Let us know what happens.

First follow this guide to find the chkdsk log.
Windows 7/Vista Disk Check log

Once the log is in view then click on Copy in the right hand pane and select "Copy details as text".
You can then right click on the message box on this forum and select Paste and the log will appear, add any further information asked for and then click on Post and your done.

Edited by mark1956, 24 January 2012 - 09:17 AM.

#4 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:40 AM

If jhayz and mark1956's diagnostics don't turn up anything, my recommendation would be to then post in Bleeping Computer's Am I Infected Forum? Sounds like something may be lurking deep inside.

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users