Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acronis - Norton - Dantz

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 wlafeen

wlafeen

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 12 February 2006 - 11:03 AM

Anyone game for a poll?

I usually put considerable effort into decisions regarding which software I purchase. In the security arena Iíve been a Norton customer for years. Norton can be a love it or hate it brand sometimes; I personally have had no problems with Norton products.

I never bothered with backups on my last computer, the old Gateway. When it came to backups for my new computer, I decided that I will use a disk imaging program. After some research, the choices are Acronis True Image, Norton Ghost or Dantz Retrospect. Backups will be made to a 200GB Western Digital Essential USB 2.0 external hard drive.

Lovers or haters of any of the above mentioned imaging programs are encouraged to chime in now!
XP Home and Media Center
Trend Micro Anti-Spyware
Norton Internet Security
Windows Defender
Registry Mechanic

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 12 February 2006 - 12:52 PM

I do not like Norton. I find it too heavy on resources. If you want an one button backup I would recommend Snap Backup (Backup Utility). I find it very clean and easy to use. If you are looking to image your drive I use Digtal Dolly (Hard drive utility). Microsoft's Backup (Start>Program Files>Accessiores>System Tools>Backup) is often over looked but will do the job. If you are a power users and run on a slit second then you may not have a use for these recommendations. I am a meat and potato user. Nothing fancy, just get the job done with minimun cost user.
Not to get off topic but you know there are several good freeware options to Norton's Antivirus, Antispyware, and Firewall.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 23 February 2006 - 05:16 PM

I've been a beta tester for Acronis since shortly after Acronis True Image 7 came out. As time moved on, I've tested more and more products for them. Obviously, my viewpoint is biased.

But I love Acronis True Image! I've been too busy to install v9 on my system - so I'm still running v8. I used my v8 about a week ago when I installed the Vista build from MSDN, and am preparing to use it again tonight - prior to installing the latest build.

I understand that there are new features in True Image that will make the restoration process even faster (it's about 20 minutes on my system right now) - although one friend has reported having problems with the new "selective" imaging portion of it.

Regardless, I can stick my Acronis TI rescue CD in the drive and can image my SATA hard drives and my W-D 120 gB External USB drive from outside of Windows. I also use it at the wife's office to image their workstation hard drives - that way I can reinstall everything back to normal in 20 minutes. And, combining it with a good backup strategy, I can have their file server back up and running in 25 minutes (the additional 5 is to restore the data that was backed up).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users