Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux help

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 thcbytes

thcbytes

• Malware Response Team
  • 14,790 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 23 January 2012 - 11:55 AM

Hi friends,

Here is my situation...

I have an old notebook that has an outdated version of ubuntu installed (Jaunty 9.04). I would like to updated to the most recent version.

Sounds simple right?

Here is the problem...

I am unable to update by way of the update manager as it is unable to fetch the update. I am posting from a different location than that computer so I do not have the exact error meessage.

Fair enough..

I could just wipe the disc and re-install the latest version right? Boot the iso from CD or USB.

No dice!

This is an old Sony Vaio and it does not have a CD drive and the Bios does not support USB booting. I attempted to connect a CD rom by way USB to boot a live CD but it is not recogized in the Bios.

I tried to boot the USB from Grub but the USB is not recognized by Grub.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Edited by thcbytes, 01 February 2012 - 12:19 PM.

Proud member - Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators
Posted Image

I do not accept personal donations for assistance provided. I would ask that you instead consider donating the greatest gift - Organ Donation. Your organs are of no use to you when your gone. You will save a life that would otherwise be lost!

http://donatelife.net/register-now/

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 23 January 2012 - 12:08 PM

How'd you get Ubuntu on there in the first place?

#3 thcbytes

thcbytes
  • Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 14,790 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2012 - 12:17 PM

Great question!

This computer was given to me with it already installed so I don't know.
Posted Image

I do not accept personal donations for assistance provided. I would ask that you instead consider donating the greatest gift - Organ Donation. Your organs are of no use to you when your gone. You will save a life that would otherwise be lost!

#4 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,702 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 23 January 2012 - 12:45 PM

Not too familiar with the architecture of netbooks, but could you pull the drive and slave it to another system, and install it that way? You'll likely need a converter cable to connect the drive to another machine but that ought to work if you can get the drive out of the netbook.

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#5 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,932 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 PM

Posted 23 January 2012 - 12:57 PM

Can you successfully install an OS on a slaved drive as the hardware won't match the machine it is intended for?

The only thing I can come up with: download the .iso from latest version, create a separate partition on your HD, extract the .iso to it, set your computer to boot from that and install like that. No idea if that would work though.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#6 thcbytes

thcbytes
  • Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 14,790 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2012 - 01:02 PM

Hey Blade,

Thanks for the reply.

I did a search and it appears that might be a viable option. I will save it as a last resort and see if there are any other options available. :thumbup2:

Regards,

Edited by thcbytes, 01 February 2012 - 12:19 PM.

Posted Image

#7 thcbytes

thcbytes
  • Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 14,790 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2012 - 01:05 PM

The only thing I can come up with: download the .iso from latest version, create a separate partition on your HD, extract the .iso to it, set your computer to boot from that and install like that. No idea if that would work though

Interesting idea. This might work. Will play around with it and let you know.
Posted Image

#8 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 60,932 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 PM

Posted 23 January 2012 - 01:21 PM

Given that linux is installed I don't think it should be hard to use parted or so to create the partition and set it to active. However, never tried this (actually planning to, but need to set up another linux VM first).

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 23 January 2012 - 02:12 PM

To use update manager you will need to have super user access via direct root login or via sudo.

#10 thcbytes

thcbytes
  • Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 14,790 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2012 - 02:35 PM

To use update manager you will need to have super user access via direct root login or via sudo.

If I am understanding you correctly I think I do. I know the sudo password if that is what you mean. Or have I misunderstood?

==========

Here is what happens..

==========

System > Admin > Update Manager

"New distribution release '9.10' is available" - Upgrade

==========

I press upgrade...

==========

"Failed to fetch. Fetching the upgrade failed. There may be a network problem".

==========

And I can't install applications...

==========

Applications > Add/Remove >

==========

Then I try to install any application I get...

==========

"Insert name of application here cannot be installed on your computer type (i386). Either the application requires special hardware features or your vendor decided to not support your computer type"

==========

So I am struggling with getting GParted installed to try Elise's idea

Strange huh?

I appreciate all the help :thumbup2:
Posted Image

#11 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• 33,768 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 23 January 2012 - 02:35 PM

Hi thcbytes,

jaunty is end of life, the servers you used to get your updates from no longer exists. This is likely why you get the error message. So you would need to update the download servers in your update manager to do an upgrade to the next version.Unfortunately the follow up version (karmic) is also end of life and has been for a while, which means that you will likely not be able to do the upgrade from jaunty to karmic, as you won't be getting any packages for karmic. See also here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EOLUpgrades/Jaunty

This is an issue as you can't upgrade from jaunty directly to lucid (or rather you cantry to force it but it will very very likely break everything). Lucid would be a long term support version, so that, should it work, you would at least have a release that is still getting updates. However to get up to the latest release you would still have to upgrade to maverick, then natty, then oneiric to be up to date.
The next long term support version will be precise pangolin and will be released in april. (long term suport means 4 year support instead of 2).
So since you would very likely be needing a CD-drive either way, I would recommend the clean install. I think maybe the best course of action would be to wait till end of april and do a clean install (from CD, in that case)

EDIT: IT seems we crossposted. You can try to download the .deb version of gparted here: http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/g/gparted/ and install it in command line with sudo dpkg -i filename.deb However, a) it's likely that you'll need to do this for a number of packages to meet all dependecies for gparted and B) the exact version used (0.4.3) is no longer available. Try the ones closest to it in version number for best chances of compatibility.

Maybe also check if parted is installed (command line utility) which would allow you to format the drive from the command line. (Gparted is "just" a GUI for parted)

Edited by myrti, 23 January 2012 - 02:42 PM.

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#12 thcbytes

thcbytes
  • Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 14,790 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2012 - 02:43 PM

Hi Myrti,

I agree that a clean install is the best option but I am not sure how to do it...

I could just wipe the disc and re-install the latest version right? Boot the iso from CD or USB.

No dice!

This is an old Sony Vaio and it does not have a CD drive and the Bios does not support USB booting. I attempted to connect a CD rom by way USB to boot a live CD but it is not recogized in the Bios.

I tried to boot the USB from Grub but the USB is not recognized by Grub.

Any ideas?

It seems like forcing grub to boot the USB is the best option but for some reason I can not get it to recognize any of my USB drives. When I do fdisk -l in ubuntu it see's the USB.

Any suggestions?
Posted Image

#13 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• 33,768 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2012 - 02:49 PM

What kind of laptop is it, what's the exact make?

regards myrti

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

#14 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 23 January 2012 - 03:17 PM

Are you currently connected to the network?

Bring up a terminal and type in ping google.com

if that works you may want to try the following site: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NattyUpgrades

Edited by cryptodan, 23 January 2012 - 03:18 PM.

#15 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• 33,768 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2012 - 03:25 PM

You can directly upgrade to Ubuntu 11.04 ("Natty Narwhal") from Ubuntu 10.10 ("Maverick Meerkat") only.

So this is not an option unfortunately.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users