Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Boot Issue, Recovered, No Access to IE

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 terrier86

terrier86

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:51 AM

Ran into issue with HP laptop running XP, continuous boot and reboot. Went through chkdsk /r and got into XP. But, no access to internet at all. In series of frustrating events, I can monitor BC on work computer but can't download any fixes. Went to attic and got old tower, exact same XP boot issue (??). Never seen this issue before and now have it 2x in 2 days, once on machine that hasn't been used in 3 months+.

running chkdsk /r on tower.

to summarize, no internet access on original laptop so can't download any fixes

trying to get tower to work (was able to start in safe mode but then had no IE access) so I can download to zip drive and portage over to ailing laptop.

Any advice for what else to check on laptop while waiting to see if tower is usable?

edit: running application and driver recovery disk on laptop will see what that provides

edit 2: can't get app and driver disk to run, install shield runs and then get error (-5009 : 0x800706ba)

error details: >Ctor\objectwrapper.cpp (389)
> Kernel\component.cpp(875)
> Kernal\CABfile.cpp (263)
> SetupDLL\SetupDLL.cpp (1611)
pAPP:System Default Settings

Edited by hamluis, 23 January 2012 - 05:43 PM.
Moved from XP to Am I infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2012 - 11:46 AM

Hi

Don't know about the reboot issue but is your modem or router okay?

Have you tried connecting the laptop on another network like at a friend or family member's house?

James

#3 terrier86

terrier86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2012 - 11:57 AM

work laptop connected fine, don't have any wireless capability working on troupble laptop, tried direct connect with ethernet, didn't work either...although, the tower is now directly connected to the modem and I'm getting the same issue.

HP Pavilion zv6000

Edited by terrier86, 23 January 2012 - 12:50 PM.

#4 terrier86

terrier86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2012 - 12:59 PM

Had malwarebyted downloaded already on laptop, when try to run it get run time error '453':
Can't find DLL entry point LanguageSetPath in mbam

as it is likely obvious, I'm not very good with this stuff but I do see reference to DLL issues on many of the apps I try to run since this problem occured

chkdsk /r found 1 issue on tower but that machine is still stuck in boot loop, I can get in via safe mode but don't know what to do once I get there to fix the issue

Edited by terrier86, 23 January 2012 - 01:01 PM.

#5 terrier86

terrier86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2012 - 01:14 PM

I've made something worse, now pretty much everything I hit says This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. That last one is in this window c:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2012 - 01:39 PM

What did you do to cause the rundll error to occur?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#7 terrier86

terrier86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2012 - 01:57 PM

What did you do to cause the rundll error to occur?

not sure, was going through icons looking for ones that worked and probably hit an old icon for rkill or gmer or something else...when mbam didn't work I may have gotten to cavalier about what I was hitting

but, the dll issue predates that latest issue I believe

#8 terrier86

terrier86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2012 - 02:23 PM

so, got even older tower from attic, not used in a year or two, same exact problem with XP booting, it just keeps looping from black XP page back to Start Windows page...that is 3 computers in 2 days, the last one not hooked to modem at all, with the same issue...I'm stuck until one of the mac books gets home from school. I should be able to download onto a zip drive then.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users