Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Constantly kicked off our network and stopped but network magic located wireless device connected to our network

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Doomsis

Doomsis

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:31 AM

It showed X2 wireless devices connected to my wireless router. Our computers used to be kicked off our own network, but when i logged into my router options. I have a Dir-655 dlink router. I believe there were other routers connected to my router to have access to free internet (if i'm wrong i just want to ask if its possible). I guess whenever they connected through their router, it kicked all my computers off. Everyday i would change the pin to random. Whenever i all the computers connected to my router would get kicked off, changing the wireless pin (sometimes you can set the pin to default) would get us back on the internet. I checked my router status and it was still connected to the internet, even though my computers were booted off. From time to time i changed the channel, maybe someone was interfering with my wireless router. In a couple of days it kicked us off our own network again. Every time my router was limited and no connectivity, i noticed two other routers nearby my house disconnected and showed limited and no connectivity. I tried changing the channels then after awhile the same/other wireless routers did the same thing. I don't want people connecting to our network for free so how would i prevent this? I was told that they cannot access our network without the password. What happen if they found a way around the password.

Like i stated in previous posts, there is a login screen. Whenever I login with my admin password, i browse through checking my status, i get kicked off from that specific page that i am visiting to login screen. That only happens if someone is logged in at the same time. I'm the only one in the house that knows the admin password. I tried changing my password so many times. One time i was browsing in my router options and i would get booted to login screen. I login again and try to click on 'wireless options' i get booted to login screen over and over again as i try to check my wireless settings. I locked admin settings from someone accessing wireless.

I tried changing my ip address, but the following day, it would have same problems again. I noticed nothing has happened for awhile, but i'd like to deal with this before it happens again. I've already flagged the devices as intruder, but i would like something to protect my router from future intruders. One time I blocked my neighbors PC and when i looked at him, he had a sour face. If they have the same router as me, it wouldn't be possible i would be messing with theirs because the other computer i usually go on admin on my router is nonwireless.

I want to know how those wireless routers connected to my router without the password i used. If it were possible someone keeps knowing my admin password, how do they know it?

I tried to scan for a keylogger but none was located so that wasnt the problem. And found no viruses. Well i was told about spybot better than avast so seeing if this helps.

Edited by Doomsis, 23 January 2012 - 10:41 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2012 - 12:34 PM

It's hard to tell if someone is connecting to your network. WPS has been broken and there is a bruteforce tool in the wild that can get the PIN in a reasonable amount of time. Your router is also very good at transmitting further than an average router so it is possible. Not probable, but possible.

To protect your network in this situation, I would recommend MAC filtering. When you log into the router go to Network Filtering on the Advanced Tab. Be sure to choose "allow MACaddresses listed below" and then get the MAC addresses of all your network cards and enter them.

To get the MAC addresses open a Command Prompt on each machine and type

ipconfig /all

Look for a line like...

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 25-3A-54-0D-5F-C9

The bolded part is the MAC address that you need to enter. If you have more than one network adapter listed, put them all in the filter (be sure to put the machine that you are logged in from or you'll be blocked and have to press the reset button on the modem and start over from scratch :) ).

This too can be hacked and spoofed but you are making it harder and harder if in fact that is what is going on.

Another cute trick that I have seen people do to keep neighbors out of their routers is to change the network name to something like...

$12/hour

Making it appear that they may be charged for accessing it :)

I want to stress again that it is entirely possible with that router and that setup, you have someone using your network. Possible but not probable. I do not think that anyone has your administrator password if you have changed it from the default.

Hope this helps,

James

#3 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 24 January 2012 - 12:29 AM

What type of router model is it?

, i get kicked off from that specific page that i am visiting to login screen. That only happens if someone is logged in at the same time. I'm the only one in the house that knows the admin password

This is clearly something not favoring your router admin access. I would try resetting first your router then configure again the settings most specially under password key security. WPA/WPA2 encryption is more enough to secure your wifi connection and a DHCP set for a home network. Have you tried going by these route?

Tekken

#4 Doomsis

Doomsis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:24 PM

Ok did everything so i it should be ok. Well i thought it was a bit odd, that changing my pin would get everyone back on the internet. The pin is not the wpa/wpa2 password, its the wifi protected pin which consists with only numbers. Its basically a 8-digit wifi pin you setup. What could of caused to boot everyone off the network and still shows a connection? I'm not familiar what the pin does =(. Can you explain? I just want to be sure its not a person. Because i became suspicious when it found X2 labeled 'network device' connected to my router but cisco network magic tracks everything that connected it our router new or old. If its not a person then i know what would of caused it. Since its been months i'd think whatever it was, it gave up. I don't mean to accuse my neighbors just want to know. Could possible the X2 labeled 'netowrk device' are wireless phones.
We have a DIR-655 Xtreme N Gigabit Router.

If its not a person it came from narutoget.com - it planted X viruses and X1 in my windows file. I heard viruses can interfere with wireless routers. It was tracked by avast. That's when my wireless problems stopped. I go to that site to watch naruto episodes =o. Then i heard from a friend that the site was hijacked and became viral. The original owner abandoned the site and no longer updates. I watched like 3 seasons from that website and avast didn't track site as being dangerous so i continued to go to that website.

Edited by Doomsis, 25 January 2012 - 01:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users