Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changing boot order

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Julia-the-PCGP

Julia-the-PCGP

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:18 AM

Hi,

I have a Acer laptop which had a corrupt Windows installation, so I couldn't boot from the hard drive.

The user doesn't have recovery discs and the Alt F10 Recovery option wasn't available, even though the hidden recovery partition is there PQSERVICE.

In order to get to the files, a copy of Windows XP Pro was installed, but it won't activate - that that isn't a problem for me as I will remove it before the 30 days.

I was given a recovery disc set designed for another computer, but - although it didn't work - the next time I booted the laptop it ran the eRecovery program and restored Windows 7 onto it, which is fantastic !!

My problem is that the system is still booting to Windows XP which is on the D partition, and not to Windows 7 which is on the E partition. There is another partition called C called "SYSTEM" but it contains nothing apart from a hidden Program files folder !

How do I tell the computer to boot from the recovered E partition so I can use Windows 7 and create the Recovery discs needed ? Then I can remove the Windows XP installation that I don't want or need.

Thank you very much in anticipation of your help to resolve this problem.

Regards,
Julia Evans

Edited by hamluis, 23 January 2012 - 12:56 PM.
Moved from XP to Win 7.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 23 January 2012 - 08:01 AM

Use EasyBCD to modify the boot loader: http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/

Edited by Allan, 23 January 2012 - 08:04 AM.

#3 Julia-the-PCGP

Julia-the-PCGP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:36 AM

Fantastic news - Windows 7 Home Premium is now running again, so all the drivers are working for wireless, etc, etc (this laptop didn't provide device drivers for Windows XP, only 7).

After I downloaded and installed this program, initially I wasn't sure what to do as the main screen said there was only one Operating System which is Windows 7 - the very OS I wanted, but no mention of XP.

Before deciding to ask for help, I browsed the menus and found another menu which offered to add Windows 7 to the Boot Manager, which I did.

On rebooting Windows 7 is now starting and setting everything up again, which is perfect.

Needless to say, my first task is to create Recovery discs for the user, to ensure this never happens again !!!

I notice that the Windows 7 drive is now first in the list of drive partitions, and the other one (on which I'd installed Windows XP temporarily) is second, which is good.

Can you confirm it is now safe to format the Windows XP partition to free up the space which can be used for files ?

I will be investigating this Easy BCD program as it seems a useful piece of "emergency software" to keep to hand.

Regards,
Julia Evans

#4 mark1956

mark1956

• Security Colleague
  • 271 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:17 AM

A usefull thing to make is a Windows 7 Repair disc:

Go to Control Panel and select Backup and Restore. In the left hand pane select Create a System Recovery disc and follow the prompts. You can boot the PC with this to give you access to the Repair options if it fails to boot.

Then I would suggest you create a clone of the drive which can be used for a full restore if ever needed. Install all the software you want to have on the clone, then you can use any one of these free programs to create a copy of the drive.

EaseUS Disk Copy
Paragon Backup & Recovery 2012 Free
DriveImage XML
Clonezilla Live
XXXClone

This is worth a read:
Bleepingcomputer cloning guide

Edited by mark1956, 23 January 2012 - 10:18 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users