Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recommended sites for buying RAM

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 pantherapardus4

pantherapardus4

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:40 AM

If I need to supplement the following type of RAM, where should I look? There seems to be such a wide variety, and I want to go with someplace reputable but w/very very good prices (I'm unemployed, really need to get the best possible value)

DDR PC2700 CL=2.5 Unbuffered NON-ECC DDR333 2.5V 128Meg x 64 Part #: CT775661
(this came from the CrucialUK site)

thanks for any tips!

Until we extend our circle of compassion to all living things, humanity will not find peace. ~Albert Schweitzer, The Philosophy of Civilization

Windows 10, Firefox, avast! Free Antivirus, Windows Defender, Spyware Blaster, SpywareGuard, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pJ`

pJ`

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:44 AM

How much RAM are you looking to upgrade to? And are you looking for a specific brand? Or just a low price.

Also, for a Desktop or Laptop?

Edit: DESKTOP PCS ONLY:

If your upgrading to 16gb: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233246 - $160 and Free Shipping

If your upgrading to 8gb: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148276 - 40$ and Free Shipping

If your upgrading to 4gb: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139046 - 20$ and Free Shipping

If your upgrading to 2gb: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148221 - 15$ and Free Shipping

Edited by pJ`, 23 January 2012 - 06:01 AM.

#3 pantherapardus4

pantherapardus4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2012 - 08:36 AM

It's for a Toshiba Satellite laptop. Don't care what brand, and I just want enough to run XP reasonably well. Someone on another thread recommended getting 1.5GB, although if there's much of a price difference, I'd go with less. Also, I'm in the continental US, in case shipping factors in much.

Actually, it looks like I can only get 1GB, according to the CrucialUK scan:

Memory Type: DDR PC2700, DDR (non-ECC)
Maximum Memory: 2GB
Currently Installed Memory: 512MB
Total Memory Slots: 2
Available Memory Slots: 1

Each memory slot can hold DDR PC2700 with a maximum of 1GB per slot.*

1GB DDR PC2700 • CL=2.5 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR333 • 2.5V • 128Meg x 64 • • Part #: CT775661

Newegg seems to have a nice filter & compare function, along w/ratings. I just looked for laptop memory for PC2700 and found two highly rated ones for $30 (1GB). Seems like a nice site; THANKS!

Edited by pantherapardus4, 23 January 2012 - 08:44 AM.

Until we extend our circle of compassion to all living things, humanity will not find peace. ~Albert Schweitzer, The Philosophy of Civilization

Windows 10, Firefox, avast! Free Antivirus, Windows Defender, Spyware Blaster, SpywareGuard, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:37 AM

I have bought RAM from various sites...and had no problems with any of them, other than a quirk with some new RAM shipped by Crucial.

Crucial.com would be my first choice to check, if I wanted RAM for a fairly recent system...but Newegg and Tiger Direct are pretty close to Crucial, IMO.

If I wanted RAM for an older system, TD would be the choice because they seem to have larger inventory of RAM...but :)...I would use Crucial to double-check the specs for any RAM for that board or system.

Seems to me that everyone sells RAM these days, so I check the specs and then go by best delivered price by vendor.

Louis

#5 Mr.Ninja

Mr.Ninja

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2012 - 11:58 AM

It's for a Toshiba Satellite laptop. Don't care what brand, and I just want enough to run XP reasonably well. Someone on another thread recommended getting 1.5GB, although if there's much of a price difference, I'd go with less. Also, I'm in the continental US, in case shipping factors in much.

Actually, it looks like I can only get 1GB, according to the CrucialUK scan:

Memory Type: DDR PC2700, DDR (non-ECC)
Maximum Memory: 2GB
Currently Installed Memory: 512MB
Total Memory Slots: 2
Available Memory Slots: 1

Each memory slot can hold DDR PC2700 with a maximum of 1GB per slot.*

1GB DDR PC2700 • CL=2.5 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR333 • 2.5V • 128Meg x 64 • • Part #: CT775661

Newegg seems to have a nice filter & compare function, along w/ratings. I just looked for laptop memory for PC2700 and found two highly rated ones for $30 (1GB). Seems like a nice site; THANKS!

About the highlighted part, no, you are not actually limited to 1 GB you can get 2X1GB RAM sticks, and take out the old one.

Edited by Mr.Ninja, 23 January 2012 - 11:59 AM.

If life gives you a melon... you might be dyslexic.

I'm a ninja, you see me somewhere in the for-

Picture this, you're on an empty beach, scanning it, and you think Wow, this would be a great place for a ninja vaca-

#6 pantherapardus4

pantherapardus4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2012 - 02:39 PM

I have bought RAM from various sites...and had no problems with any of them, other than a quirk with some new RAM shipped by Crucial.Crucial.com would be my first choice to check, if I wanted RAM for a fairly recent system...but Newegg and Tiger Direct are pretty close to Crucial, IMO.

Louis, what was the quirk? I wonder how they can afford to ship overseas for free? Actually, I just looked up the price for the Crucial stick. It's $29.99 through Newegg and $38.99 through Crucial (free shipping for both).

no, you are not actually limited to 1 GB you can get 2X1GB RAM sticks, and take out the old one.

Good point. I'll stick w/buying just one, though. It'll still be 3x what I had before!

Thank you both!

Edited by pantherapardus4, 23 January 2012 - 02:43 PM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2012 - 04:43 PM

I bought a module which was bad. Easily recognized, called Crucial Customer Service, had replacement modules within 48 hours.

I call it a "quirk" because it's the only non-hard-drive item I've ever received DOA and it's atypical for Crucial.

Louis

#8 pantherapardus4

pantherapardus4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:32 PM

Oh. Well, anyway, Newegg is selling the Crucial for less than Crucial is, so I'm going with Newegg.
Thanks, all! :thumbup2:

Edited by pantherapardus4, 25 January 2012 - 12:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users