Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Moving Programme File

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nick_kjaer

nick_kjaer

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 12 February 2006 - 10:32 AM

Hi I was wondering, is it possible to move programmes installed onto my C:Drive to a different location?

I mean I would like to set up a folder on my C:Drive where I could place only anti-spyware programmes, ie: I would like to group them all together.

However as they are already installed, can I move them or is it already too late?

Cheers, Nick

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 12 February 2006 - 10:55 AM

I would think moving them at this point would cause them not to work. You could always uninstall them, and then reinstall them in the manner you wish.

Or, and I don't know if this is what you are after, but you could create a folder on your desktop, name it Anti Spyware, create shortcuts for all of your related programs and then move the shortcuts into the folder. At least that way you could access and start them from one location. That could be done without reinstalling or moving the actual program.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 13 February 2006 - 03:17 AM

Hi there,

I agree with Al. There is no need to go through all the trouble removing the programs when you can just organize them.

Here is a slick way to organize all of your programs, in a "one-click toolbar". It is nothing spectacular, but considering the amount of shortcuts that are associated with the multitude of programs that I use, I would be lost without it.

Here goes.....Create a new folder in "My Documents", and give it a name consisting of a single character such as "$" or "#", or whatever you decide, you will understand in a minute why just the one character.

Inside this new folder, create a few new sub-folders that describe what kind of programs that are going to be inside each one. ie...."Secure" (for your security programs)----"Util" (for PC maintanance apps)----"IMG" (for imaging and picture software).........etc. The shorter the name the better, for speedier access.

Now, just put a shortcut for the apps. in their respective folder that you created in the previous step. Security apps go in the "Secure" folder and so on and so fourth.

The next step is to make a toolbar, that will be located on your "Taskbar". It will resemble the optional "Quick Launch" toolbar that resides on the left hand side of the Taskbar when activated. The difference is, the new toolbar will be located on the right hand side of the Taskbar.

To create this new toolbar, Right-click an empty space in the taskbar, hover over Toolbars, and scroll down to "New Toolbar...", and click it. When the applet pops up, navigate to that Single Character Folder that contains the sub-folders with the shortcuts that you made in the steps above. Click "OK", and there you are, a single click drop-down toolbar that contains an organized tree of the apps you frequent.

NOTE: You may have to right-click the Taskbar, hover Toolbars, scroll down to your Created folder and Check it to activate it. Now you see why we create a Single Character File Name??? It takes up less room, but you can name it whatever. Here is a sreenshot of the possible result....don't laugh to hard at my graphics job...I did it on the fly.

Hope this helps

nos \
When I'm right, I'm right....
And when I'm wrong, I could have been right....
So I'm still right, cause I could have been wrong.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 13 February 2006 - 03:25 PM

FWIW - there are programs that will move programs from one location to another. But, they're payware - and I haven't heard anything about them.

I've moved programs manually before. And it's the most hair-raising, teeth-gnashing, pain in the butt thing to do! The durned program never works quite right, you get errors that send you hunting for another missing file, and just when you think you've got it fixed - something else shows up broken!

Frankly, it's easier to uninstall it and then reinstall it to the desired location.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users