Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

problems after deleting acrobat

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 blueczar

blueczar

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 22 January 2012 - 10:17 PM

I have two separate problems after having deleted acrobat from my computer.

1) Each time I open MS word, Pictures or Documents, I get this box pop up:

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/6138/acrobats.jpg

Then it gives me a message saying "source file not found: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Acrobat 7.0\Setup Files\AcroPro\ENU\Data1.cab. Verify that the file exists and that you can access it."

Of course the source file is not found - I deleted acrobat. But why on earth does it want to keep installing acrobat every time I start up a word processor or documents or pictures, which have nothing to do with acrobat?!

At least I only have to do it once each day with each program (once after startup - the 2nd and later times I open the word processor, documents or pictures it isn't there) but it's still frustrating to have to go through this popup message all the time. Is there a way to stop it?

2) When in firefox and I open a .pdf file, firefox freezes for about a minute, before 'Adobe Acrobat Professional' appears to open in the background while this box comes up at the front:

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/380/acrobat3.jpg

If I click 'ok', next I get a message saying "An error has been detected and the application cannot continue. Please reinstall the application."

I don't want to reinstall it, I just want to get rid of it. And also stop firefox from freezing each time I touch a .pdf file. Is there any way to do this,

Thanks,

Edited by blueczar, 23 January 2012 - 06:00 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 23 January 2012 - 02:00 PM

Did you delete the folders or attempt to uninstall.
Adobe is notorious for leaving stuff everywhere and its own uninstaller is not much help.

You might find this old link useful, (it matters not that your version is different):
http://www.adesblog.com/2009/01/27/removing-adobe-acrobat-installation-files/

Run the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility and see if there is an Adobe entry there, as the windows installer would have been used to install originally. If so, delete it. Be careful with this program, ensure you do not select anything else.

Then check add/remove; you might see the program there and can choose to remove it.
It will probably throw an error, as you have deleted stuff, but if so, should give you the option of removing the entry from the list, if it is shown there.

I'll not comment on manual removal, too much like hard work.

Edited by petewills , 23 January 2012 - 02:03 PM.

#3 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2012 - 02:08 PM

May be worth downloading Autoruns and turning off any Adobe entries revealed by selecting the Logon tab, if there are any.

Autoruns for Windows v11.21

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902

Edited by petewills , 23 January 2012 - 02:12 PM.

#4 blueczar

blueczar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2012 - 08:00 AM

That cleanup utility did the trick for the first problem, thanks!

#5 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:03 PM

I'm clueless as to the second problem, not being a Firefox user, but it sounds like an add-on issue.
Might be something there you need to disable.

Foxit Reader is a great alternative to Adobe.

#6 blueczar

blueczar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2012 - 05:56 PM

ok thanks for your help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users