Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP won't start windows

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 DANIELLOPEZ860

DANIELLOPEZ860

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:34 PM

I plugged in my external dvd player into a usb port and the computer shut down.I went to restart the computer and it started rebooting itself at the Windows XP screen.I tried all the boot modes,nothing.I tried the Recovery Console and got "a disk read error occurred".I used the MS DOS start up disk but i don't know the commands.What can i do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 22 January 2012 - 10:57 PM

Please post the PC model and history going to the present problem.

Tekken

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 22 January 2012 - 11:16 PM

Is the drive unplugged while starting?

#4 DANIELLOPEZ860

DANIELLOPEZ860
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 22 January 2012 - 11:32 PM

I got a HP a335w.Everything was fine this morning,I got a copy of CyberLink's PowerDVD XP 4.0 and installed it.I plugged the dvd player into the front usb port and the computer shut down in a second.I tried the normal stuff.At the white and blue HP Invent screen i can F1 for set up but F10 won't respond.I ran DriveMedic from Lolo,it said there was no errors.When i start the computer it runs through the os choice screen,diagnostic screen then when it gets to the black Windows XP screen it stays for about two seconds then starts over.The computer beeps and does it again.I disabled the automatic restart a few times and got a blue screen saying it shut down because a problem was detected.It said some things to do but i can't get to windows.The message reads;Stop:0x00000024(0x00190203,0x86228008,0xc0000102,0x00000000.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 23 January 2012 - 02:10 PM

What is Drive Medic?

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 24 January 2012 - 02:40 AM

Is there are restarting/looping from booting to an external drive? Is that what you mean? cryptodan has a question which I would like to know also.

Tekken

#7 mark1956

mark1956

• Security Colleague
  • 271 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:09 AM

Drive Medic is part of System Mechanic: http://www.iolo.com/system-mechanic/standard/

The error code you received on the Blue Screen usually indicates a problem with the hard drive, ignore what Drive Medic told you and run the manufacturer's diagnostics.

Uninstall System Mechanic at the earliest opotunity as it, like all System Optimiser programs, is a waste of money. Running any Registry Optimiser can do more harm than good. If you have issues with any Windows installation there are far safer ways to carry out repairs than relying on third party software.

Follow this guide and let us know the results.

Identify the make of your hard drive and then use one of the links below to get the manufacturer's diagnostics for ISO (CD) not the one for Windows.

When the download is complete right click the file and select Extract Here and burn the image to a CD.

In Windows 7 right click the extracted file, select Open With, then select Windows Disc Image Burning Tool then follow the prompts. For all other versions of windows (if you do not have an ISO burner) download this free software. ImgBurn
Install the program and start the application. Select the top left hand option to burn image file to disk and then on the next window click on the small yellow folder icon and browse to the file you have downloaded from the links below. Then click on the two grey discs with the arrow in between (bottom left) and leave it to complete the operation.

Boot the PC into the Bios setup and set the CD/DVD drive to 1st in the boot sequence. Insert the disk in the drive then reboot and the disc will load into dos.

Excelstore Use EStest CD image
Hitachi/IBM Use the Drive Fitness Test - CD Image.
Seagate, Samsung, Maxtor & Quantum Follow links for SeaTools
Western Digital

Toshiba/Fujitsu
If you have a Toshiba/Fujitsu hard drive I would suggest the use of the diagnostics from the Seagate link as this will work on all makes of drive and on any OS.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:31 AM

For your information:

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:
  • Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.
  • Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.
  • Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.
  • Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.
  • The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.
Louis

#9 Guest_Computer-man_*

Guest_Computer-man_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:43 AM

The error code you received on the Blue Screen usually indicates a problem with the hard drive

It is possible that the external drive gives problem but I think there is more on matter. I think there is also a mobo problem.
A usb-port makes connection with the mobo, when there's wrong with one or other usb, than get you problems with a device.
Ts, I have a suggestion for you: If you shut on another device on the usb, what get you than.?
When I have right what I did tell, than must you also get problems with other devices.
If all usb-devices work fine and you have only a problem with the external dvd, than is the external dvd the troublemaker, in that case must you back to the shop for warranty.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users