Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New here w/my ancient, but trusty, IBM - and SP2/3 questions

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 chela236

chela236

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 22 January 2012 - 05:33 PM

Hi,

I've been using bc.com for msconfig cleanup and other helpful things as I ready my very old (2002) IBM NetVista computer for its long awaited transition from SP2 to SP3. Many years ago - when I first attempted to do this- I was using NIS and ran into problems. Can't recall the particulars, I think I had to disable Norton, but still had trouble due to SystemWorks (which STILL lingers in semi-barren folders!) or some other pita issue. Since I work from home I gave up spending my time messing around and just kept putting it off, and off, and off…

A couple of lots of programs, installs, uninstalls, etc. this machine has served me incredibly well – and still does- so I have been leery about even going through this process. But on the other hand, would like to getting it running a little more efficiently.

I have another computer now, running Win7, and have been transferring important docs and photos (part of my income) to it, DVD and an external HD. I have also been deleting as much as I safely can from the IBM – going back to 2002. I have always done auto and manual cleanups but I am really digging now. It's amazing what I am finding!

So here are some questions. I know I have to look (again) at the "what to do before SP3" and won’t bother you all with that just yet, but since I have not been able to do a single update since (because it won’t let me update anything w/o SP3) I am wondering if besides securing all my data if it would be worth uninstalling programs (that I have discs and/or access to reinstall) and bring my baby down to the barest bones I can or do I not need to go to all this trouble.

I may sound rather paranoid, but I would rather spend the time reinstalling than bleeping around and troubleshooting after that first boot. Fortunately, all my work software 3D Cad programs, are on the other computer.

I love my IBM and want it – and myself- to come thru this experience with as few scars as possible.

Thanks for listening and any advice!

chela

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 22 January 2012 - 06:06 PM

I would make sure all your drivers and applications are updated including your BIOS, and then you can upgrade to SP3.

Also I would recommend running: NORTON Removal Tool and download Avast or another free AVG.

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 22 January 2012 - 11:32 PM

Agree with Dan about running the Norton Removal tool.

the SP3 upgrade is pretty painless.
Just back up your data for safety sake beforehand.

I have installed it hundreds of times without issue.
It just takes time. 30-60 minutes.
In the beginning there was the command line.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users