Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dropped Toshiba Satellite A45-S151

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 lnm

lnm

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 22 January 2012 - 04:12 PM

My son dropped my laptop (Toshiba Satellite A45-S151) and now it only shows a partial display--about a quarter of the screen, then just gray lines--and doesn't function beyond that. I had recently installed more memory and the computer was more than adequate for my needs; I'd like to repair it if possible. Is this realistic or would the repair cost more than the computer?
Thanks in advance for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 22 January 2012 - 04:28 PM

Can you take a picture of the monitor it is likely that it is cracked.

#3 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 23 January 2012 - 08:04 AM

Here is the spare screen part you need.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#4 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 23 January 2012 - 01:17 PM

Hi

UGH! I have a 5 year old so I can sympathize with your situation.

If you are not ready to spend a couple of hundred dollars on a new laptop (or $195 for a new screen for yours and then figure out how to install it yourself :) ) then you might consider watching eBay for the same laptop that you have and then putting your current hard drive (if it was not damaged by the fall) into it.

I see that one sold recently for $71 BUT did not include a hard drive(no problem for you if it was not damaged by the fall) and no power cord (again no problem for you).

If you do that, make sure the seller has lots of feedback that is %100 positive, accepts returns and contact them before bidding to verify everything is exactly what you need. For example the aforementioned sale kind of mentioned the missing power cord and hard drive in the fine print and not the title. Given a month or two, you should find what you need for under $100.

James

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2012 - 01:58 PM

To verify that the rest of the laptop is functional do you have a monitor you can hook to the Toshiba and see if it is booting normally. If it was running when dropped that may not be good news.

Before spending any money test it.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 24 January 2012 - 10:17 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2012 - 02:12 PM

I would to exactly that as well.
Plug an external monitor into it and see if the display is ok and that the system boots properly.
Might have an issue with the hard drive since it has been dropped.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#7 lnm

lnm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2012 - 05:30 PM

Thank you all for your fast replies!
Attached is a picture of what the screen looks like. I don't have a monitor to hook the Toshiba to, but I think it is booting normally: I can get to the sign-on screen, just can't see the pointer to know where to log in, since that half of the screen is just flickering blue lines.

Attached Files

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 30 January 2012 - 01:10 AM

I would take it in and have them see if the cable is loose.

#9 lnm

lnm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:59 PM

Thank you--I'll do it!
Lynn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users