Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unusual Resource Traffic In Network and Disk Slowing me to a crawl

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Doubleace36

Doubleace36

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 22 January 2012 - 03:43 PM

I'm pretty sure some malware has dug itself deep into my system and is tying up my Disk and Network resources. (I've never had such network issues before, since this started my gaming latency has gone from its usual 60-80 to 600-900.)

I open up my resource manager while nothing on my computer is running,(I turned off all background processes and closed my AVG) and just watch as the image "System" with PID '4' digs through files on my drive, simultaneously there are several svchost.exe(LocalServiceAndNoImpersonation tying down my network. Each running 115 at minimum sometimes upward of 900 b/sec. I've run both advanced system care 5 deep clean and avg full computer scan and they come up clean. I still feel like there is a worm or some other malware at work. Can you help before my computer goes off the deep end?

Edited by Doubleace36, 22 January 2012 - 05:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LucheLibre

LucheLibre

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 22 January 2012 - 07:30 PM

Use Process Explorer to provide an overview of your running processes.

• Download the .zip file and extract to a folder on your desktop. Run program.
  • For Vista/7: Click File > Show Details for All Processes.
  • Click View > Select Columns and check the Command Line box. Click OK.
  • If necessary, continue to use the computer until it displays the undesirable behaviour (lagging, freezes, questionable process, etc). When this happens, immediately switch back to Process Explorer and press the Space Bar to pause updates.
  • Click View > Lower Pane View > DLLs. Make sure that View > Show Lower Pane is checked.
  • Select the System process.
  • Click File > Save As.... Save to your desktop as system.txt.
  • Attach (do not copy & paste) system.txt to your next reply. Use the forum's "Full Editor" to attach files.
Note: Do not unpause or exit Process Explorer unless directed to.
==========================================

About the svchost processes, mine do the same thing, so I would not be immediately suspicious of them.

Edited by LucheLibre, 22 January 2012 - 07:32 PM.

If it looks like I know what I'm doing, there's a pretty good chance the only reason for that is because
I once asked someone to run chkdsk /r and a BC Advisor smacked me in the back of the head.

~ LL ~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users